Browsing: Collecting Pine Cones for Crafts

Preparing Branches and Pine Cones for Crafts

I want to make some craft projects using outdoor items but would prefer to not bring bugs into my house when I do. What do you guys do to make sure that bugs aren't still on outdoor items for crafts?

Thanks,

Melissa from OR

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

Hi

I use a black garbage bag and moth balls. Put your items in the black bag along with the moth balls and let set for a week or you can wash the items in bleach water and put outside and let dry. If you have pine cones bake them in a 250 degree oven for 30 minutes.

Put all your natural stuff on a foil lined baking sheet or pan at 250 degrees for an hour or so. Let cool. This way no toxic chemicals are involved and no "hitchhikers" enter your home.

For pine cones wash them in hot sudsy water and then place them on a cookie sheet lined with aluminum foil. Be sure to use the foil, as the pine tar can really get messy. Turn on the oven to low (200 degrees) and bake them for about an hour or so until they are dry. Baking them helps them to open and also gets rid of the pine tar.

put them in a sealed plastic bag and freeze over night.

I put items I am bringing inside to use in a garbage bag and spray with insectiside, close the bag and leave it for an hour to let the spray do it's thing.....also if you are using pine cones you can spread them on a cookie sheet (line it with foil) and put into a warm oven to open up the cones and kill any critters that are living in them. I use the bag/spray method on my houseplants that I am bringing inside to winter over too. Hope this helps have fun with your projects!!

IS IT NECESSARY TO WASH THE PINECONES BEFORE PUTTING THEM IN THE OVEN?

Pine Cone Wreath
Collecting Pine Cones for Crafts
Crafts NatureNovember 28, 2004
Pine needle bunches tied with fabric.
Crafts Using Pine Needles
Pine Cones
Getting Seeds From Pine Cones
A pinecone painted silver
Crafts Using Pine Cones
Making Scented Pinecones
Making Scented Pine Cones
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on July 22, 2016 at 12:03:12 PM on 10.0.1.157 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.