Share Crafts
Ask
Share
Newsletter
Account
About

Preparing Branches and Pine Cones for Crafts

0EmailPrintFollowSave

I want to make some craft projects using outdoor items but would prefer to not bring bugs into my house when I do. What do you guys do to make sure that bugs aren't still on outdoor items for crafts?

Thanks,

Melissa from OR

Recent AnswersAnswer this Question

By Angie 10 16 11/28/2004 Flag

Hi
I use a black garbage bag and moth balls. Put your items in the black bag along with the moth balls and let set for a week or you can wash the items in bleach water and put outside and let dry. If you have pine cones bake them in a 250 degree oven for 30 minutes.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Linda (Guest Post) 11/29/2004 Flag

Put all your natural stuff on a foil lined baking sheet or pan at 250 degrees for an hour or so. Let cool. This way no toxic chemicals are involved and no "hitchhikers" enter your home.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Shelly (Guest Post) 11/29/2004 Flag

For pine cones wash them in hot sudsy water and then place them on a cookie sheet lined with aluminum foil. Be sure to use the foil, as the pine tar can really get messy. Turn on the oven to low (200 degrees) and bake them for about an hour or so until they are dry. Baking them helps them to open and also gets rid of the pine tar.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Barbie (Guest Post) 11/29/2004 Flag

put them in a sealed plastic bag and freeze over night.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By (Guest Post) 11/29/2004 Flag

I put items I am bringing inside to use in a garbage bag and spray with insectiside, close the bag and leave it for an hour to let the spray do it's thing.....also if you are using pine cones you can spread them on a cookie sheet (line it with foil) and put into a warm oven to open up the cones and kill any critters that are living in them. I use the bag/spray method on my houseplants that I am bringing inside to winter over too. Hope this helps have fun with your projects!!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By SUNSHINE. (Guest Post) 10/11/2005 Flag

IS IT NECESSARY TO WASH THE PINECONES BEFORE PUTTING THEM IN THE OVEN?

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes