Keeping Brownies from Getting Hard on the Edges

Why are my brownies always hard around the edges? The center is fine. I use a glass baking dish and have tried a metal pan but same results. Several people I know have this same problem. Can you help me? Thanks in advance.

Sassy from Central IL

Showing: Comments Sort: Relevance

Do you lower the temp 25 degrees when using a glass pan? You bake the item about the same time at a lower temp. That might help.

Whenever I make brownies I usually cover the baking dish with a piece of aluminum foil before putting in the oven. This might help solve the problem of the brownies getting hard on the edges.

I have a hard time getting brownies how I like them too. I like them not too hard or dry or cakey but not too fudgey either.

Somewhere I read when cookie brownies you dont test for doneness by testing the center with a toothpick like you would for a cake. You test like halfway to the center point. If you test the center point it should come out a little fudgey/gooey.

Also remember it will continue to bake a little after you take it out of the oven...esp in a glass pan...and to put the pan on a cooling rack.

I slightly under-bake mine. Then eat the edge pieces first and the center pieces last.

Or if your brownie edges still turn out dry or hard use the edge pieces to make a brownie sundae where you warm then in the micro and top with hot fudge and ice cream.

OK now I am hungry.

send them 2 me, i love the hard part!

I have an electric stove/oven and I take my brownies out a couple minutes early and center the baking pan on top of my stove burner (off, of course). It seems to continue baking the center while sparing the edges.

I too like the hard edges pieces. Did you know that there are brownie pans out there that sidewall pieces which protrude into the center to give more "edge" pieces? Here's a link to one.

http://www.bakersedge.com/

Sounds like your oven may be baking a little hot. Try lowering the temp about 25 degrees, this will keep the edges from getting too done before the center is done 'enough'. Also, don't forget that you need to decrease oven temp 25 degrees for a glass pan anyway.

Hope this will give some good results.

I usually put my pan on a baking sheet. That way the bottom in double insulated. It helps.

I use to always have this happen, too, as I always used a l l/2 to 2 inch deep pan. Finally, I used a pan that was about l/2 inch deep and I had perfect brownies. Ever since, I have used a shallow pan and I have gotten perfect results.

About 5 minutes after I take the brownies out of the oven I cover them with plastic wrap. I push the plastic wrap all around the brownies to make sure they are covered all the way around to the edge.

I read this some where years ago and it does work.

Fran

Before putting the uncooked brownie batter in the oven push some of it toward the edges of the pan leaving a slight depression in the center. You may not even notice any depression after they are cooked.

You need stoneware! It bakes EVENLY and clean up is a dream! I never have hard edges on brownies any more. I bake a double batch in the Stoneware Bar Pan from The Pamp Chf. No hard edges, ever!

You can email me at babe61531 at yahoo dot com if you would like to check out my website! I can't post it here.

If baking the cookies has an oil ingredients then try to put a half more instead of foolowing the required measurement: example if the required measurement of oil is 1/2 cup, you have to make it 1 cup because it smoothens and softens the finish product, and also grease the glass pan if you are using it with oil, then cover the glass pan with aluminum foil. Always check to avoid over cooking because it really hardens the edges.

Personally...I find all brownies to be like this...which is why I don't like brownies...I could live forever without them. I think they are more trouble than they are worth and that there are other things way more delicious!

Why would you not want the hard edge? Those are the best ones!

Try putting them in a smaller pan and then put the pan into a larger pan with a bit of water up to the level of the brownie batter.

I use air bake cookware and it always bakes perfectly!

Substitute applesauce for the oil -- the brownies taste the same, have less (if any) fat, fewer calories, and there are no hard edges.

=D

There were some good tips suggested here. This morning I baked the brownies at 325 instead of 350 and they turned out better than any other browines I had made.

Add your voice! Click below to comment on this post or add your answer to this question. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom.

Food and Recipes Food Tips BakingOctober 20, 2007
Butterscotch Brownie
Butterscotch Brownie Recipes
sewing machine
Using Fabric Selvage Edges for Crafts
Muffin Tin Brownies
Muffin Tin Brownies
Brownies
Recipes Using Brownies
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 20, 2016 at 5:19:13 PM on 10.0.0.57 in 819 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.