Keeping Brownies from Getting Hard on the Edges

By Helen 17 1

Why are my brownies always hard around the edges? The center is fine. I use a glass baking dish and have tried a metal pan but same results. Several people I know have this same problem. Can you help me? Thanks in advance.

Sassy from Central IL

Showing: Comments Sort

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

Do you lower the temp 25 degrees when using a glass pan? You bake the item about the same time at a lower temp. That might help.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By mcw 80 1,751 Flag

Whenever I make brownies I usually cover the baking dish with a piece of aluminum foil before putting in the oven. This might help solve the problem of the brownies getting hard on the edges.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

I have a hard time getting brownies how I like them too. I like them not too hard or dry or cakey but not too fudgey either.

Somewhere I read when cookie brownies you dont test for doneness by testing the center with a toothpick like you would for a cake. You test like halfway to the center point. If you test the center point it should come out a little fudgey/gooey.

Also remember it will continue to bake a little after you take it out of the oven...esp in a glass pan...and to put the pan on a cooling rack.

I slightly under-bake mine. Then eat the edge pieces first and the center pieces last.

Or if your brownie edges still turn out dry or hard use the edge pieces to make a brownie sundae where you warm then in the micro and top with hot fudge and ice cream.

OK now I am hungry.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Michawn 18 487 Flag

send them 2 me, i love the hard part!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

I have an electric stove/oven and I take my brownies out a couple minutes early and center the baking pan on top of my stove burner (off, of course). It seems to continue baking the center while sparing the edges.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

I too like the hard edges pieces. Did you know that there are brownie pans out there that sidewall pieces which protrude into the center to give more "edge" pieces? Here's a link to one.

http://www.bakersedge.com/

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

Sounds like your oven may be baking a little hot. Try lowering the temp about 25 degrees, this will keep the edges from getting too done before the center is done 'enough'. Also, don't forget that you need to decrease oven temp 25 degrees for a glass pan anyway.

Hope this will give some good results.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

I usually put my pan on a baking sheet. That way the bottom in double insulated. It helps.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

I use to always have this happen, too, as I always used a l l/2 to 2 inch deep pan. Finally, I used a pan that was about l/2 inch deep and I had perfect brownies. Ever since, I have used a shallow pan and I have gotten perfect results.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

About 5 minutes after I take the brownies out of the oven I cover them with plastic wrap. I push the plastic wrap all around the brownies to make sure they are covered all the way around to the edge.

I read this some where years ago and it does work.

Fran

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

Before putting the uncooked brownie batter in the oven push some of it toward the edges of the pan leaving a slight depression in the center. You may not even notice any depression after they are cooked.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

You need stoneware! It bakes EVENLY and clean up is a dream! I never have hard edges on brownies any more. I bake a double batch in the Stoneware Bar Pan from The Pamp Chf. No hard edges, ever!

You can email me at babe61531 at yahoo dot com if you would like to check out my website! I can't post it here.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By eka_bohol 1 Flag

If baking the cookies has an oil ingredients then try to put a half more instead of foolowing the required measurement: example if the required measurement of oil is 1/2 cup, you have to make it 1 cup because it smoothens and softens the finish product, and also grease the glass pan if you are using it with oil, then cover the glass pan with aluminum foil. Always check to avoid over cooking because it really hardens the edges.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

Personally...I find all brownies to be like this...which is why I don't like brownies...I could live forever without them. I think they are more trouble than they are worth and that there are other things way more delicious!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Noella 11 381 Flag

Why would you not want the hard edge? Those are the best ones!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Kim Churchman 3 1,276 Flag

Try putting them in a smaller pan and then put the pan into a larger pan with a bit of water up to the level of the brownie batter.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

I use air bake cookware and it always bakes perfectly!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By LuvMyGingerKids 46 316 Flag

Substitute applesauce for the oil -- the brownies taste the same, have less (if any) fat, fewer calories, and there are no hard edges.

=D

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Nicolee 1 Flag

There were some good tips suggested here. This morning I baked the brownies at 325 instead of 350 and they turned out better than any other browines I had made.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

Food and Recipes Food Tips BakingOctober 20, 2007
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Butterscotch Brownie
Butterscotch Brownie Recipes
Muffin Tin Brownies
Muffin Tin Brownies
cut brownies sitting on waxed paper onto of rest in pan
Cutting Brownies
Brownies
Recipes Using Brownies
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 9, 2016 at 4:51:44 PM on 10.0.1.53 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings