Keeping Brownies from Getting Hard on the Edges

Why are my brownies always hard around the edges? The center is fine. I use a glass baking dish and have tried a metal pan but same results. Several people I know have this same problem. Can you help me? Thanks in advance.

Sassy from Central IL

Answers

By jennifer (Guest Post)
Best Answer

Do you lower the temp 25 degrees when using a glass pan? You bake the item about the same time at a lower temp. That might help.

Silver Feedback Medal for All Time! 290 Feedbacks
Best Answer

Whenever I make brownies I usually cover the baking dish with a piece of aluminum foil before putting in the oven. This might help solve the problem of the brownies getting hard on the edges.

By K (Guest Post)
Best Answer

I have a hard time getting brownies how I like them too. I like them not too hard or dry or cakey but not too fudgey either.

Somewhere I read when cookie brownies you dont test for doneness by testing the center with a toothpick like you would for a cake. You test like halfway to the center point. If you test the center point it should come out a little fudgey/gooey.

Also remember it will continue to bake a little after you take it out of the oven...esp in a glass pan...and to put the pan on a cooling rack.

I slightly under-bake mine. Then eat the edge pieces first and the center pieces last.

Or if your brownie edges still turn out dry or hard use the edge pieces to make a brownie sundae where you warm then in the micro and top with hot fudge and ice cream.

OK now I am hungry.

By lee (Guest Post)
Best Answer

I have an electric stove/oven and I take my brownies out a couple minutes early and center the baking pan on top of my stove burner (off, of course). It seems to continue baking the center while sparing the edges.

By jsham (Guest Post)
Best Answer

Sounds like your oven may be baking a little hot. Try lowering the temp about 25 degrees, this will keep the edges from getting too done before the center is done 'enough'. Also, don't forget that you need to decrease oven temp 25 degrees for a glass pan anyway.

Hope this will give some good results.

By Karen (Guest Post)
Best Answer

I usually put my pan on a baking sheet. That way the bottom in double insulated. It helps.

By fran (Guest Post)
Best Answer

About 5 minutes after I take the brownies out of the oven I cover them with plastic wrap. I push the plastic wrap all around the brownies to make sure they are covered all the way around to the edge.
I read this some where years ago and it does work.
Fran

By Leigh Ann (Guest Post)
Best Answer

You need stoneware! It bakes EVENLY and clean up is a dream! I never have hard edges on brownies any more.

I bake a double batch in the Stoneware Bar Pan from The Pamp Chf. No hard edges, ever!

Food and Recipes Food Tips BakingSeptember 23, 2021
🎂
🎃
🌻
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Keeping-Brownies-from-Getting-Hard-on-the-Edges-1.html