Creating a Child's Dress Up Box

Category Activities
Pretending is fun with clothes, shoes and accessories to dress up in. This guide is about creating a child's dress up box.

For kids who like to dress up you can fill up a box of dress up items from a thrift shop. Also add some accessories from the dollar store. You can also find Halloween reduced costumes in stores. For a boy, a plastic tool box with a handle would be great for his items. Use your imagination for decorating the boxes.

By coville123

Boy, this brings back memories of my Nana. She always had a dress up box.

It was filled with old frilly dresses, heels, hats, gloves, etc. This was back in the early 50's and I still remember her patience's watching our endless Fashion Shows.

Thanks for sharing.

Keeper

A dress-up box makes a great gift for your nieces and nephews. Instead of spending a fortune on mass-produced toys, you can stock the box with some of your discarded clothes. Collect neat clothes, uniforms and other "dress-up" items at the local thrift store, which will not only help you fill out the collection, it will help support the needy.

By Shannon from Decatur, GA

After Halloween sales for pirate hats, princess accessories, boas, devil ears, etc

Claire Bush0 found this helpful

Kids love imaginative play, and one of the best ways to encourage creativity and self expression is through dress-up. Allowing kids to be their favorite action hero, cartoon character, or even an imaginary friend with the help of a few costume props helps to keep kids away from TV and video games, too. Here's how to create a child's dress up box that you can pull out on the next time kids say, "I'm bored!"

A couple of years ago, when all the halloween coustumes went on sale for 90% off, I bought a huge bagfull of costumes, partial costumes, props and wigs for about $20 (less than one cost before Halloween!) and put them all in a large clear plastic tote for a dress up box and gave it to my then boyfriend's 7 year old daughter for Christmas. She was thrilled and got hours and hours of play time out of them.

I originally got the idea because she was highly upset that she had outgrown all of her expensive "princess" outfits (bought long before thrifty me came along! lol).

Can't wait til my little granddaughter is big enough to do the same for her!