Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Creating a Child's Dress Up Box

Pretending is fun with clothes, shoes and accessories to dress up in. This guide is about creating a child's dress up box.

October 20, 2011 Flag

For kids who like to dress up you can fill up a box of dress up items from a thrift shop. Also add some accessories from the dollar store. You can also find Halloween reduced costumes in stores. For a boy, a plastic tool box with a handle would be great for his items. Use your imagination for decorating the boxes.

By coville123

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Boy, this brings back memories of my Nana. She always had a dress up box.

It was filled with old frilly dresses, heels, hats, gloves, etc. This was back in the early 50's and I still remember her patience's watching our endless Fashion Shows.

Thanks for sharing.

Keeper

February 13, 2006 Flag

A dress-up box makes a great gift for your nieces and nephews. Instead of spending a fortune on mass-produced toys, you can stock the box with some of your discarded clothes. Collect neat clothes, uniforms and other "dress-up" items at the local thrift store, which will not only help you fill out the collection, it will help support the needy.

By Shannon from Decatur, GA

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

After Halloween sales for pirate hats, princess accessories, boas, devil ears, etc

Claire Bush0 found this helpful
August 13, 2008 Flag

Kids love imaginative play, and one of the best ways to encourage creativity and self expression is through dress-up. Allowing kids to be their favorite action hero, cartoon character, or even an imaginary friend with the help of a few costume props helps to keep kids away from TV and video games, too. Here's how to create a child's dress up box that you can pull out on the next time kids say, "I'm bored!"

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

A couple of years ago, when all the halloween coustumes went on sale for 90% off, I bought a huge bagfull of costumes, partial costumes, props and wigs for about $20 (less than one cost before Halloween!) and put them all in a large clear plastic tote for a dress up box and gave it to my then boyfriend's 7 year old daughter for Christmas. She was thrilled and got hours and hours of play time out of them.

I originally got the idea because she was highly upset that she had outgrown all of her expensive "princess" outfits (bought long before thrifty me came along! lol).

Can't wait til my little granddaughter is big enough to do the same for her!

Parenting Toddler and Preschooler ActivitiesMarch 17, 2013
Parenting an Autistic Child, Diamond shaped traffic sign warning, autistic child area.
Parenting an Autistic Child
selecting a wedding dress
Selecting a Wedding Dress
Husband and Wife holding a baby
Adopting a Child
Cat in Litter Box
Cat Not Using the Litter Box
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 17, 2017 at 12:18:52 PM on 10.0.1.245 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.