Substituting Shortening for Margarine

Will using Crisco butter flavor shortening make the recipe taste different if the recipe asks for margarine?

By Lisha

Margarine will be a good substitute as long as you use the stick margarine. Do not use the soft margarine in tubs as that contains a lot of water and baked goods don't turn out well with that.

All substitutions in any recipe make at least a slight flavor variation. If you want to use Crisco instead of margarine here is the adjustment you need to make:

1/4 cup butter or margarine = 1/4 cup Crisco shortening + 1-1/2 teaspoons water

I don't know about all of you, but margarine & shortening are made by hydrogenating the fats. It's all over the news. This stuff causes cancer & many other types of cellular damage. Use butter.

Deeli, I never heard to add water to Crisco to substitute it for butter or margarine. What happens if you don't? Also, I know that one (shortening or margarine) will make cookies crisp & the other will make them chewy, but I don't remember which is which, do you? Thanks!

Hi lyonpridej, the reason to add the water to shortening when using as a margarine substitute is because margarine is processed with water and the shortening isn't. I don't think you need to add water if substituting for butter though, but I am not sure, because butter is a milk product whereas margarine and shortening are vegetable oil products. I honestly don't know which ingredient will make one batch of cookies crunchy and the other batch more moist. I guess I never paid attention to that difference because I am not a big cookie baker, just a small handful of my faves where I never substitute ingredients. :-(

Food and Recipes Food Tips SubstitutionsNovember 4, 2010
corn with real butter
Benefits of Using Real Butter
Margarine Tub
Making a Doll From a Butter or Margarine Tub
Cooking With Butter
Cooking With Butter
Fat Free Cream Cheese
Substituting Fat Free Cream Cheese When Baking
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 15, 2017 at 3:08:14 AM on 10.0.2.64 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.