How Do I Remove Stains from Silk Upholstery?

I inherited my late mother-in-law's small wingback chairs. Well my grandchildren came to visit and to make a long story short, after they left, I noticed they needed to be cleaned.

This is where the problem starts. I did not know you can not clean silk. Now I need help as how to get the stains off that I created while trying to clean them. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

By Darlene from Fairview, PA

Are you certain they are silk and not rayon or another fabric content that resembles silk? (you simply MUST know what kind of STAINS you have there, too, in order to know ABOUT what kind of cleaner/cleaning to begin using)

I'd turn one over and test the fabric turned under beneath any dust-cloth covering the bottom, for:

1) wrinkling: by crumpling a twist of it between your fingers until warm, about 60 seconds, opening fingers to see if there are massive wrinkles. If so, it's likely NOT washable , likely silk afterall. if no wrinkles there is a better chance you may be able to clean the fabric, which is not likely to be silk if no wrinkles.

2) test it for color-fastness by putting a few drops of very warm water on some of the fabric beneath, waiting 3 min. then blotting tightly with a folded WHITE paper towel around the test area, to see if any of the color bleeds.

3) Repeat # 2 above using a drop of woolite liquid soap for

delicate fabrics mixed into 1/4 cup of COLD water, for colorfastness as well. Careful not to use too much or it may "wick" into the sides and show you've been there.

Once you determine what the stains, bleeding status, and fabric are, you should get back here and report so all can make suggestions based upon our own experiences?

Good luck and God bless. ; )

Thank You for your help. Yes, it is silk! Thank you once again for your help! Dar

Silk Upholstery
Removing Stains from Silk Upholstery
Home and Garden Cleaning FabricApril 26, 2010
Grape juice that is splashing out of the cup.
Removing Grape Juice Stains from a Tablecloth
Golden silk fabric
Cleaning Silk
Homemade Softscrub Cleaner Recipe, Photo of cleaning bucket and supplies.
Cleaning Yellow Bleach Stains in a Plastic Bathtub