How To Keep Deer and Rabbits From Eating Your Plants

I am having problems with either rabbits or deer eating my Monkey Grass. I have tried a commercial spray that stinks. Does anyone have a "home" remedy?

By cyhuffman from York, SC

Long ago I read you can use hot pepper spray, (& have even mistakenly recommended it in the past) but NOT if you have pets because it can get in dogs & cat's eyes & these precious little creatures can even dig their own eyes out from the pain & burning! Hot pepper spray is very, very dangerous so if you read about using it, don't!

A product that's recommended specially for this is "Predator Urine". It's supposed to be the safest & best for product, maybe this is what you've use in the past. For keeping birds from garden's, they also sell fake Owls with moving heads & motion detectors with recordings are another product for this problem.

Most of those of us who live way out where the deer and other creatures roam just cage anything we don't want destroyed. Sort of takes away from the beauty of the thing but at least it lives.

I have heard that you could ask for hair clippings from your local barber or beautician and spread them around the plants to ward off deer, but I don't know if it would keep away rabbits.

This sounds gross, I guess, but if you can collect human urine, and distribute it around the perimeter of the planted area, it should discourage deer and rabbits from the area.

Just purchase some moth crystals. Crystals and not the moth balls. Both smell the same yet the crystals can be used outdoors and don't break down as quickly as the moth balls. Place them around your garden, trees or any area you don't want the animals to touch. The smell will keep them away. I first heard to use moth crystals when I had problems with porcupines in my trees. Yes they can do quite the amount of damage and I lost one tree that way. Now I just place the moth crystals at the base of my trees every two to three months and have never seen a porcupine again.

I urge you not to use moth balls around your garden. Eventually they break down, and get into your soil and are very dangerous chemicals. Here is just one place online that you will read that tells how dangerous they are. If you google "mothballs" you will find others.

http://www.ehow.com/about_5562939_m ... alls-dangerous-vegetable-garden.html

I will ditto for the urine, soap and hair. They all work have to be replaced after it rains. I was having the same problem and a garden friend told me about the above.

It's a matter of training the animals to stay away. We live in a country setting with deer etc. and we use a professional repellent which we buy at a feed and grain store. We buy the concentrate and mix a batch as needed. Follow the directions on how often to spray. Be vigilant with spraying when first starting, and after it rains. Talk with your neighbors on what they use. Also a nursery /garden center can help. Good luck to you. If all else fails try a dog!

I recently read that using pepper spray, cayenne pepper, or any such substance can be detrimental to a rabbit if one should get it in his or her eyes. I need to rid my garden of rabbits as well but don't wish to cause them pain. I guess I'll try the hair, urine, etc.

Urine

Keeping Deer Out of Your Garden, Doe in Suburban Garden
Keeping Deer Out of Your Garden
Home and Garden Gardening Pest ControlMay 19, 2009
Liquid Fence Deer and Rabbit Repellent
Liquid Fence Deer and Rabbit Repellent Review
Black and white rabbit eating grass.
Keeping Rabbits Out of Your Garden
Fawn (Baby Deer) standing in the grass.
Fawn (Baby Deer) Information and Photos
Deer in Garden
Deer Resistant Plants
🎄