Keeping Cooked Turkey Moist

Category Cooking Tips
This is a guide about keeping cooked turkey moist. Cooked turkey has a tendency to dry out, but that can be prevented if cooked properly.

Turkey dinner on a plate.

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

Some foods, such as turkey, tend to dry out if not served quickly. This is a guide about keeping turkey hot and juicy after cooking.

Does anyone have a good recipe for turkey that will be moist when cooked?

Best Answer

If you cover the turkey with cheesecloth that has been soaked in a mixture of butter and broth, and baste that every so often, it will keep the bird moist. Take the cloth off for the last 30 minutes to get a nice crispy skin.

Best Answer

Brine it and it's fantastic. Boil 1 1/2 gal water, dissolve 1 1/2 lbs salt & 1 lb. sugar in the water. Add 7 lbs ice or equivalent cool water & chill. When cold, add turkey & soak 10 - 18 hours. Rinse, dry, coat with oil & roast at 400 until reaches 160. For brining: either combine the turkey & brine in a trash bag & place in an ice filled cooler or place brine & turkey in a large canning pot in refrigerator.

Best Answer

I use a large syringe with a large needle attached and poke it full of broth before baking. You can get a syringe and needle from your vet for pretty cheap and reuse it for many years.

Best Answer

I use the Reynolds cooking bags in the turkey size. Easy to use, easy clean up and the turkey always gets done well before the time stated per pound. The meat is so tender you don't have to carve it, you can pull it off the bone with a fork. The juices in the bag can be used for gravy and the turkey still browns nicely.

Best Answer

I always roast my turkey upside down. Juices run to the bottom to the drier white meat in my roasting pan.

I no longer stuff my turkey to keep it moist. I find it stays moister if I do what a friend taught me... stuff the cavity with cut up lemons and oranges, sqeezing some of the juice over the turkey. I also do what my stepmom did... I put an aluminum foil tent on the bird for most of the roasting time. I take off the tent about 30-45 minutes before cooking time is over. Also, I baste the hell out of my bird every 45 minutes to an hour that it's in the oven.

MY grandma did this. I put raw bacon all over the turkey and that will baste it for you and when your done my gang eats the crisp bacon also I never stuff my turkey. I put my stuffing in the slow cooker and don't have to mess with digging out of the turkey and it is so much easier and only takes an hour or so to cook depending on you slow cooker

Put raw bacon all over the turkey it baste and keeps it moist.

I don't ever stuff my turkey it takes to long to cook for one and I hate trying to get stuffing out. I cook my stuffing in slo cooker and it does great. cooks in less time.

Use a brine, you go on foodnetwork.com, there are all sorts of recipes for brines, using beer, or apple cider vinegar etc. Then also do not put the stuffing inside the turkey, the dry stuffing absorbs all the mositure from your turkey. Last but not least if your turkey still gets dry, slice up an onion. Put the sliced onion and a few ice cubes in the pan with your turkey, put it back in the oven for about 20 min. It will definetly add moisutre back to your bird.

If you bake your stuffing in another dish, you can make the turkey stay moist by placing an apple inside while baking.

By Gladys Hill

Answers:

Keep Your Turkey Moist

Baste your Thanksgiving turkey with it's own juices every 30 minutes to keep it moist.

By Robin from Washington, IA (11/17/2005)

By ThriftyFun

Keep Your Turkey Moist

I heard that you are not supposed to baste your turkey very often due to having to open the oven door too much and it also does not help keep the turkey moist anyways. (11/21/2006)

By Amber S.