Substituting Butter or Oil for Shortening

I am using gluten free Bisquick to make biscuits and it calls for 1/3 cup of shortening. Can I substitute butter or oil instead and if so what would be the equivalent measure?
Thank you for any info.

By Deanna G

I use butter, oil, or shortening interchangeably, or a combination as long as the total is the same and always get good results.

I am sure you will get acceptable results with butter; but oil may make for flat biscuits. Don't melt the butter, just use it as you would the shortening.

You can but it might change the density and flavor of many original recipes. Switching won't make a huge difference in most recipes but it can mean the difference between a moist or dry cake.

Food and Recipes Food Tips SubstitutionsJuly 11, 2011
cooking oil
Stretching Butter With Oil
Disposing of Used Motor Oil, Used Motor Oil in a Gallon Jug
Disposing of Used Motor Oil
dirty garage floor
Removing Oil Stains from Garage Floor
Up close photo of a dirty driveway.
Removing Oil Spills from Your Driveway
🎄