Training a Dog to Be Calm Around Guests

I have a 5 month old Labradoodle that goes crazy when anyone comes to visit. He jumps up, nips, and goes wild. I'm in a wheelchair and hold him back with a leash, but we have to wrestle him outside for relief. Help! The picture is at 8 weeks. He is really big now.

By Kathy from Copper Canyon, TX

If you take him outside everytime someone comes over he will never learn. I sugguest that you tie him to a door nob by his leash. It is short so he is controlled and people can go over and say hi. They can't get jumped on and he should be in the same room making him feel he is still part of the activities. After a time then you can take him outside In time he will calm down but it will take a least a year for him to get all that puppyness out. This is what I did with our dogs and it worked for us and I'm talking Rottweiler and Doberman.Two high energry dogs.It is hard at first but they soon learn to sit nice or lie down and enjoy the company and of course give a treat or two.

Pets Dogs Training AdviceJune 13, 2010
pug in a crate
Crate Training a Dog
Pug looking guilty.
Training a Dog to Poop on a Training Pad
Photo of a mistreated Pit Bull.
Training a Dog That Was Abused
agility training for your dog
Agility Training for Your Dog