Training a Dog to Be Calm Around Guests

I have a 5 month old Labradoodle that goes crazy when anyone comes to visit. He jumps up, nips, and goes wild. I'm in a wheelchair and hold him back with a leash, but we have to wrestle him outside for relief. Help! The picture is at 8 weeks. He is really big now.

By Kathy from Copper Canyon, TX

Answers

If you take him outside everytime someone comes over he will never learn. I sugguest that you tie him to a door nob by his leash. It is short so he is controlled and people can go over and say hi. They can't get jumped on and he should be in the same room making him feel he is still part of the activities. After a time then you can take him outside In time he will calm down but it will take a least a year for him to get all that puppyness out. This is what I did with our dogs and it worked for us and I'm talking Rottweiler and Doberman.Two high energry dogs.It is hard at first but they soon learn to sit nice or lie down and enjoy the company and of course give a treat or two.

Pets Dogs Training AdviceJune 13, 2010
Frightened Dog
Keeping Your Pet Calm During Thunderstorms
pug in a crate
Crate Training a Dog
Pug looking guilty.
Training a Dog to Poop on a Training Pad
agility training for your dog
Agility Training for Your Dog
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 23, 2017 at 6:38:01 PM on 10.0.0.173 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.