Crocheted Snail Pin Cushion
With scrap or regular yarn, you can make a nice little pin cushion. I collect snails, so this was a natural for me.
- scrap yarn
- hot glue
- plastic canvas or other small bit of plastic that is flat and smooth
- yarn has natural oils that keep your pins sharp
- You simply chain the amount of stitches that you want the item to be wide. The one you see, is just a 6 chain, working back and forth with a single crochet in each chain/stitch, then turning and continuing.
- To get one this size, you will need a strip about 12 to 14 inches long. The longer you make it, the larger the snail will be.
NOTE: The longer it is, the wider it needs to be to sit up right.
- When the desired length is reached, simply cut and secure the end.
- Measure off 1/3 of the length from either end, and put a safety pin on the edge.
- From the other end, roll the yarn, tucking in the tail, hot gluing it with cool setting every 2 inches or so.
- When you get to the pin, stop and make sure you glue right there. Remove the pin.
- When the glue dries, turn the snail back over, and curl the "head" with the last 1/3 of the strip.
- Glue as before, and when the head is rolled, glue the head to the back of the shell area so the head stays with the body.
- For extra stability, you can glue a strip of plastic canvas to the bottom of the snail. Use the glue sparingly, as it will ooze out.
You can use cardboard, but you will always have to be careful to not sit it in water. Plastic is better.
- Find two cool head pins (hat pins, etc) for the antennae. Put a tiny bit of glue on the ends and put them in the head at an angle.
- You can decorate the face with eyes if you like.
This snail is about 3.5x1.5 inches, so it's tiny.
By Sandra from Salem, OR
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!
In This Guide
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by ThriftyFun
generated on March 25, 2017 at 6:09:14 AM on 10.0.2.51 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer
. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us