I Dumped Cleaning Water Where I Plan to Plant Herbs

I dumped a bucket of dirty cleaning solution and water in my unused flowerbed (I moved in recently). Well I am planning on planting catnip and lavender, so now I'm worried that nothing will grow, but if it does it will be all chemically. Any solutions?

Hardiness Zone: 9b

By Jennie from Tempe, AZ

Okay. Assuming you are speaking of a patch of ground and not a planter or raised bed, and assuming by "cleaning solution" you are speaking of a product like Lysol or Mr.Clean or bleach (regular household cleaners), and assuming that the cleaner was diluted with water in the one bucket to begin with. I seriously doubt you will have any issues come planting time. Natural rain will disperse the chemicals and if you don't expect much rain between now and your planting time, just water the ground with a hose every now and then. Others may disagree with me, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it! :-)

You can stick to your story KansasCindy, I agree also!

I too agree you should just water down the area well a few times and the chemicals will be leached away.

Yep totally agree, I know of many people that use their laundry water to supplement drought conditions, plants are more hardy then you think. And I wouldn't think that it would stay in the plants ie if using for cooking, I assume that's another concern. Though if using for cooking you may not want to use gray water for those cooking herbs.

Home and Garden Gardening HerbsDecember 9, 2010
dried spices
How Long Do Dried Herbs and Spices Last?
Water Softener
Buying a Water Softener
Drying and Storing Herbs
Drying Herbs
Freezing Herbs