KitchenCleaning

Removing Pot Marks from a Ceramic Sink

How do you get black marks out of white kitchen sink from the husband washing stainless pans?

By Holly from Lancaster, WI

Answers

I finally got mine out using Bar Keepers Friend! I have an OLD white sink, and I had marks from my cast iron skillets. I tried Comet, but it wouldn't take out the marks. My mother-in-law told me about Bar Keepers Friend. I had a hard time finding it (I think everywhere I looked was out of stock), but eventually I found it at Target or Wal-Mart. Now my sink is nice & white!

I don't like the smell of it. Can't describe it. The packaging makes it sound like it's very safe, but I make sure I wear gloves when I use it. Best of luck!

I have a ceramic sink that has developed "pot marks", things that look like scratches, but actually aren't. I can't use abrasive cleaners on the sink. The manufacturer recommended one brand of stoneware cleaner.

I've used it a few times, even letting it sit for over an hour, but it doesn't seem to work. Any help would be appreciated.

By Richard from Bayside, NY

Answers:

Removing Pot Marks from a Ceramic Sink

I have never used it, but I keep reading good things about "Barkeeper's Friend". When my current cleaner runs out I am going to try it. http://www.barkeepersfriend.com/ (02/21/2010)

By Kaelle

Removing Pot Marks from a Ceramic Sink

Keep in mind that your ceramic sink has a "glass" finish. Barkeeper's Friend is a very low abrasive, but still an abrasive. Use whiting! Will not scratch glass.

Whiting, is a very fine, white powder used for polishing glass, as well as any porcelain items such as ovens, sinks, tubs, etc. and is used in automobile polishes and waxes. (the "white dust" after buffing). Commercial painters also primarily use it for thickening paints. You can purchase whiting in paint stores that generally cater to paint contractors; it's not expensive. Usually under $5 for a 1lb container, but that 1lb will last the average homeowner years; a little goes a long way!

To clean windows; you can sprinkle onto a damp, sudsy cloth or sponge and the powder will adhere to any debris without harm. Use a cloth that will not scratch glass!

When washing my car, I dampen the glass and clean the windows and windshield with the whiting to remove the street grime. Then I begin the normal washing technique which removes all the whiting during the process. Windows are virtually free of road grime when finished. (02/21/2010)

By Cajun62234

Removing Pot Marks from a Ceramic Sink

I had the same problem and for many years have been using a product by Shaklee. It is called "At Ease" and is made using cherry pits. That and a little scrubbing will take those marks off. I found the easiest trick was to prevent those marks by laying a dish cloth under the pot you are cleaning. That will prevent the contact while you are scrubbing your pots and pans. (02/25/2010)

By ddgodfrey

Removing Pot Marks from a Ceramic Sink

Have you tried making a paste out of baking soda and water and scrubbing with a plastic scrubber? (02/25/2010)

By Deeli

Removing Pot Marks from a Ceramic Sink

Have you tried a Mr. Clean magic eraser? (02/25/2010)

By catastrofy