Kitchy Apron

This is cute apron that is feminine with the ruffles, yet kind of tailored because of the prints chosen. Aprons are really making a comeback and you will enjoy making this one!

Approximate Time: 3 hours

• five or 6 coordinating fat quarters (fat quarters are fabric that is 18 X 24 inches)
  • thread
  • scissors
  • Lexan cutting board (not necessary but helpful)
  • rotary cutter (again not necessary but helpful)
  • sewing machine
  • iron
  • serger is helpful too
  • 2 buttons

I first cut my bottom of the apron out of one fat quarter and curved the bottom corners by setting a bowl on it and marking and cutting around.

Hem up bottom and side in a narrow hem. Cut the top above waist from another piece of fabric to fit the person you are making it for. Mine measured 9 x 13 inches before hemming.

Cut the waistband and ties out of scraps to fit the waist. For that, I used a 3 inch width. My finished waistband and tie measure 61 inches.

Cut 2 ruffles 4 inches by the 24 inch width out of each fabric. Sew the two lengths of each fabric together at the narrow end so you have one long piece.

Serge both long edges if you have a serger. If you do not have a serger, you can narrowly hem the ruffles.

Then, run a gathering stitch at the top of each ruffle.

Start layering the ruffles on, pinning fairly close together so it is easy to sew. I started with the top ruffle and worked down.

Make the neck piece out of one of the 3 inch pieces so that it slips easily over the head.

Sew two buttons at the top of the bodice to hold straps on.

By Elaine from IA

How darling. Great gift for a young girl just learning to cook. Thanks for the idea and directions. My grand daughters will love this.

To cute!

Elaine, this is so well made and detailed and absolutely lovely!

Very nice! How did you finish the gathered ruffle edge? Was it serged before gathering, or could I zig zag it after gathering? Maybe use a zig zag to attach it? I don't have a serger. Thanks!

Sweet! Perfect Christmas and Hostess gift.

Woman wearing a handmade apron.
Making an Apron
Crafts SewingAugust 19, 2010
Child's Apron
Making a Child's Apron
An array of neckties.
Making a Tree Skirt with Neckties
Photo fo the finished craft apron.
Making a Craft Apron
Making a Jeans Apron