Making a Child's Apron

Category Sewing
Making your little cook or helper their own apron is a fun craft project. This is a guide about making a child's apron.

My granddaughter and I love to cook and I thought she needed an apron, so I came up with this inexpensive one.

Approximate Time: 20 minutes

Instructions:

1. Cut hand towel in half, lay aside.

2. Using the child's tee shirt, cut the top of apron according to the pictures using the neck opening for the neck of your apron. I chose to make a narrow shoulder, but the picture shows a narrow and wide cutting line marked with a Sharpie. I cut just inside the side seams on the front side.

3. After cutting out the tee shirt top, lay it out flat. Align the half hand towel cut side next to the bottom of the tee shirt bottom.
  4. Gather the hand towel to match the width of the tee shirt. Stitch the hand towel to hold gathers.
  5. Pin the towel to the back of the tee shirt so you can sew on the front on the hemline of the tee shirt and through the gathering stitching on your towel.

6. Fold your bias tape over the raw edges of the tee shirt starting where the towel and tee shirt join, stitch the bias tape on around to the other towel/tee shirt joint and cut even with the towel.
  7. Attach the same bias tape for the ties or use tie material of your choice.

Enjoy cooking with your little ones in their very own apron. Feel free to personalize with the child's name or picture. My granddaughter and I love to cook together so I made this one for her.

This is a guide about no sew child's half apron. Armed with a hot glue gun, fabric, and a pair of scissors, you too can make a cute no sew apron for your budding chef.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

Does anyone have a pattern for a child-size apron?

Camilla

Answers

By lisa (Guest Post)

hello,
YOu can easily make an apron with a small hand towel & hot pad and binding.

Cut the towel across the short end.. to give the correct length.. 2 yr olds won't need as long an apron as a 5 yr old. :-)
Then hem down the cut end.. sew the hot pad on .. centered..
Use edge binding along the edge ...extending out on both sides enough to make ties .
Put a loop of binding on the top of hot pad to go around the child's neck.
Easy to do.. I just don't know if my directions are !
Lisa

By Rachel (Guest Post)

What is a hotpad? Do you mean like a flannel/face cloth?

I think she means a hot pad like you use to protect your hands from a hot pan for the stove. They are about 6 inches square.
Susan from ThriftyFun

By CHERYL (Guest Post)

If you go to the Grandma's House" website, there are some. They aren't cheap and you have to scroll to find them. Good Luck.

By Julie (Guest Post)

Check out:

http://tipnut.c  ns-you-can-make/