Making a Child's Apron
My granddaughter and I love to cook and I thought she needed an apron, so I came up with this inexpensive one.
Approximate Time: 20 minutes
- 1 hand towel
- child size tee shirt
- sewing machine
- bias tape
- Cut hand towel in half, lay aside.
- Using the child's tee shirt, cut the top of apron according to the pictures using the neck opening for the neck of your apron. I chose to make a narrow shoulder, but the picture shows a narrow and wide cutting line marked with a Sharpie. I cut just inside the side seams on the front side.
- After cutting out the tee shirt top, lay it out flat. Align the half hand towel cut side next to the bottom of the tee shirt bottom.
- Gather the hand towel to match the width of the tee shirt. Stitch the hand towel to hold gathers.
- Pin the towel to the back of the tee shirt so you can sew on the front on the hemline of the tee shirt and through the gathering stitching on your towel.
- Fold your bias tape over the raw edges of the tee shirt starting where the towel and tee shirt join, stitch the bias tape on around to the other towel/tee shirt joint and cut even with the towel.
- Attach the same bias tape for the ties or use tie material of your choice.
Enjoy cooking with your little ones in their very own apron. Feel free to personalize with the child's name or picture. My granddaughter and I love to cook together so I made this one for her.Read More Comments
Ask a QuestionHere are the questions asked by community members. Read on to see the answers provided by the ThriftyFun community or ask a new question.
Does anyone have a pattern for a child-size apron?
By lisa (Guest Post)
November 11, 20040 found this helpful
YOu can easily make an apron with a small hand towel & hot pad and binding.
Cut the towel across the short end.. to give the correct length.. 2 yr olds won't need as long an apron as a 5 yr old. :-)
Then hem down the cut end.. sew the hot pad on .. centered..
Use edge binding along the edge ...extending out on both sides enough to make ties .
Put a loop of binding on the top of hot pad to go around the child's neck.
Easy to do.. I just don't know if my directions are !
By Rachel (Guest Post)
June 17, 20060 found this helpful
What is a hotpad? Do you mean like a flannel/face cloth?
June 18, 20060 found this helpful
I think she means a hot pad like you use to protect your hands from a hot pan for the stove. They are about 6 inches square.
Susan from ThriftyFun
By CHERYL (Guest Post)
October 10, 20080 found this helpful
If you go to the Grandma's House" website, there are some. They aren't cheap and you have to scroll to find them. Good Luck.
Answer this Question
By Julie (Guest Post)
October 20, 20080 found this helpful
This is a page about no sew child's half apron. Armed with a hot glue gun, fabric, and a pair of scissors, you too can make a cute no sew apron for your budding chef.
Published by ThriftyFun.
© 1997-2020 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.