Will Planting Ground Cover Deter Weeds?

My weeds are fast growing in my berms. Someone suggested that I plant a drought resistant ground cover which should kill the weeds. Is this true? If so do you have any suggestions on which ground covers are good and when I should plant them?

By Micki D.

To celebrate the new year we are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards for people who answer questions on ThriftyFun in January! Click here to find out more...

Be careful with ground covers. I am in the process of killing mine off after 10 years. They have never choked out my weeds and they are difficult to weed between all the vines. I recommend putting out layers of newspapers between plantings, wet them then add mulch over top. Good luck.

I have used low growing sedum groundcover for sunny areas for years and they really choke out the weeds. I have found with the vinca and ivy goundcover that weeds grow through so I have used sweet woodruff, adjuga, and packasandra in the shady areas.

Home and Garden Gardening WeedsJuly 10, 2011
Closeup of blue flowering creeping charlie.
Getting Rid of Ground Ivy (Creeping Charlie)
A nicely planted organic vegetable garden.
Preventing Weeds When Planting Your Garden
Closeup of hen and chicks.
Choosing the Right Groundcover
Hand picking weeds
Controlling Weeds Organically
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 15, 2017 at 3:10:47 PM on 10.0.2.236 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.