Preventing Cutworms

If you start your plants from seed as I do, or even buy them from the local nursery, when you plant them in the ground insert a toothpick or wooden match as close to the stem as possible and into the ground. This helps prevent cutworms from cutting off the tender plants at ground level.

By Roberta

Do you have any more tips for preventing cutworms? Post them below.

Every year I lose my cucumbers to some thing eating the roots. Help!

I cut 1 to 1-1/2 inch sections of plastic straws, slit them up the side and place around the stems of my plants. Just make sure you leave some of the straw above dirt level. This has worked ever since I used this idea 3 years ago. Before that, my dad always said to place 3 or 4 small rocks closely around the stem of the plants to prevent cutworm damage.

Cutworm on grass
Getting Rid of Cutworms
Home and Garden Gardening Pest ControlMay 3, 2007
Front of a wrinkled shirt.
Preventing Wrinkled Clothing
multicolored flowerbed on a lawn
Preventing Weeds in Flower Beds
Man With Fresh Stain on Shirt
Preventing Stains on Clothing
Thief Breaking into Car
Preventing Auto Theft