Trade Flowers and Plants with Friends and Save Money

Save money on plant by trading. Here are some great tips from the ThriftyFun community. Post your own advice here.

Friendship Garden

Do you need to add to your flower garden but are low on funds to do so? Not to worry. Start trading with your friends. For example, every spring I have new shoots from my hostas. I let it be known that I am willing to trade. And the nice thing about this is that when you get a plant from a friend, you associate that plant with that friend. Now that's what I call a really and truly great friendship garden. Happy trading.

By Joesgirl

Sell or Trade Perennials

I add to my flower garden by using the money I get by dividing the existing perennials and including them in my annual garage sale. People love me for it (it's becoming a very popular garage sale) and I also win because the money I make I use for more perennials for my 10 acre yard.

I also trade with girlfriends and find that I associate the plant with the girlfriend as I wander my flowerbeds. Trading can also be done with future consideration in mind. Keep track of the plants and, in the future, return the favor. I am growing some baby irises that were given to me and if they live and I can get them to multiply in my yard then the original owner would like a few back in return. I paid nothing for them and it is a win-win situation for him and me.

I also keep a running list on my computer as to the name of the perennial, when I got it, where it is planted, how much I paid or not paid, etc. This way when I go to a nursery or a plant sale somewhere, I know what I already have in my yard and don't purchase the same perennial again.

By Valleyrimgirl

Trading Plants With Friends

Instead of buying new plants, trade plant starts in the spring with friends. That way everyone saves money and gets new plants for free!

By Kelly

Yellow and purple pansies.

I don't have many plants but I am willing to trade or even take leftover plants or seeds and I will send a self addressed and stamped envelope.

Editor's Note: We have a seed swap

beautiful garden
Sharing Plants With Others
Home and Garden Gardening FlowersMay 3, 2007
Growing your own wedding flowers.
Growing Your Own Wedding Flowers
Fair Trade Coffee
Buying Fair Trade Coffee
Selecting Valentine's Day Flowers, A bouquet of fresh cut roses for Valentine's Day
Selecting Valentine's Day Flowers
People attending a baby shower.
Saving Money on a Baby Shower