Getting Creative With Lonely Socks and Mittens

I have a great tip for those who don't know what to do with those pesky lonely socks and mittens that we all have. I have 3 fantastic girls but they are always losing their mates. A quick tip I found to keep gloves and mittens together is to tie a few strings to a hanger and place large paper clips on the ends. The pair of mittens easily slide on the paper clip and they are mated and drying in no time.

However for those that have totally lost their mate I pick similar colors or totally different to make a pair. I take some fabric paint or appliques which ever sounds fun. Most of the time I use pieces of fabric left around the house and decorate as loud and flamboyant and I like. my girls think they are just the cutest and want to wear them all the time. Even with the socks.

I took a white and black sock, making sure that they were about the same size. I tied black ribbons all over the white sock and white ribbons all over the black sock. my middle daughter, who is 9, didn't want to take them off. Even my 12 year old thinks they are cool.

I also will use those cute socks with the decorations sewn in such as frogs as patches on my oldest daughters jeans. Most jeans today are stretchy so when you patch them with a non stretchy fabric it just seems to come out. Cut the sock and use as a patch. She now has a pair of jeans with frogs on the knees, and a matching pair of socks, one green, one black, with those buggy frog eyes all over them.

Hope you have fun with this. it is really a treat for the kids and a great friend maker.

Melissa from NY

My son Aaron has Aspergers Syndrome and has worn black sock since being very young...because everything has to be the same he only wears black socks so I don't have the stress of none ever matching

I fill cute lonely socks with beans, sew the open end shut, then decorate to make an animal. These make great so others by heating in the microwave or popping in the freezer.

Young tweens and teens love to wear mis-matched socks----as long as they are the same style/height.

An orphaned man's tube sock can be stretched over a dustmop head for a substitute dust pad.

Uses for Unmatched Socks, Small Pile of Unmatched Socks
Uses for Unmatched Socks
Crafts AdviceJanuary 21, 2005
Socks
Making a Sock Quilt
Craft Ideas for Socks
Craft Ideas for Socks
Photo of felt mittens.
Making Felt Mittens
sock snowman
Uses for Old Socks
🎄