Is Oven Canning Safe?

I have done all my fruit in the oven for many years and have never had any problems whatsoever, nor have I ever had a problem with jars breaking or fruit spoiling, ever. My family has never fallen ill from oven canning.

I do put the lids on jars before putting them in the oven and only when bubbles start rising, do I consider them canned. By the time I finish emptying the oven, the jars are already popping to indicate they are sealed. None of the testimonies I have read give any detail as to what ill effects result from oven canning and I would like to know what sort of problems people are encountering.

champpigny2

Answers

It's difficult to know if all the heat in the oven is evenly distributed and thus, each jar is completely and evenly heated to kill the bacteria and germs. The lids' popping down is not an indicator of safety. All it indicates is that the contents of a heated container are cooling.

Please use a pressure canner for low-acid foods and a pressure or boiling water bath canner for high acid foods and follow the directions in the latest Ball Blue Book or from your county extension or the USDA.

Food and Recipes CanningSeptember 9, 2007
Jar of canned papaya balls in syrup.
Canning Papayas
Man cleaning the oven.
Homemade Oven Cleaner Recipes
Freshly Canned Pears Near Pears in a Bowl
Canning Pears
Pile of fresh cherries in front of a jar of cherry jam.
Canning Cherries
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 7, 2017 at 4:32:16 PM on 10.0.2.176 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.