RecyclingGreen Living

Using Found "Pans" in Baking

Category Recycling

I am a long time baker and would like to share this tip with all. I make all different shapes and sizes or cakes and have found that you can only purchase the typical pans in the stores.

I entered a bake-off contest for Hellman's and I wanted to make a cake that resembled a mayonnaise jar. Lo and behold, I baked the cake in a coffee can.

I have been making all different shape cakes by using cans and tins that cookies and candies come in and they are terrific. Why spend money on specialized pans when you can re-use what you have in your own cupboard?

Just remember to grease the pans well. Hope this helps anyone out there who can't afford to buy pans that are so expensive. Just use your imagination and see what you come up with.

By Carolyn

How did you get the cake out of the jar?

Smart idea to use coffee tins for baking I use empty vegetable cans for my brown breads I never thought about using a coffee can! Thanks for sharing I bet the cake you made was adorable!! Too bad you didnt have a photo to share with us.

Do you mean cans and not jars? If so, I grease them the same way I would a regular baking pan. Wait till it cools a bit and then remove. I usually grease my pans generously. Hope this helps.

Carolyn

I wouldn't think you would use a glass jar with a 'neck' on it unless you plan on eating the cake out of the jar with a spoon.