Browsing: Keeping Hair Dye Off Your Skin

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Keeping Hair Dye Off Your Skin

When dyeing hair at home, it's important to take some precautions to avoid getting the color on your skin. This guide is about keeping hair dye off skin.

Keeping Hair Dye Off Skin
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

November 11, 2010 Flag

I color my hair at home, and always end up with dye on my forehead and ears, which can stain your skin. I have tried to put petroleum jelly on my hairline, but it would get in my hair and stop the dye from taking. Anyway, I had the idea of using masking tape (the paper, low stick kind) on the skin around my hair line and it works really well, giving me a much more professional look. I have suggested it to friends and it works well for them too. It is a time and skin saver. It is a bit fiddly to get the hang of, but gives awesome results.

By happy ending from Geraldton, Western Australia

February 14, 2005 Flag

To prevent my ears/neck/hairline from getting covered in tell-tale dye spots when I dye my hair, I smear vaseline on them.

Even if I do get dye on these areas, the vaseline acts as a barrier from keeping the dye off of my skin and wipes off easily when I'm done.

By Ashley

August 19, 2006 Flag

I see how to get hair dye off the skin as a question a lot in the feedback. How do you keep it off in the first place so you don't have to work to take it off.

Susan from Port Orchard, WA

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

To keep hair color from staining your skin, simply apply vaseline around the hairline and on top of you ears. Just be careful to keep the vaeline away from your hair, otherwise the color will not take.

If there is dye in your skin, before rinsing the dye out of your hair mix shampoo and baking soda into a paste and rub it into your skin. you can even do this right after putting the dye on it. just be careful not to get it into your hair or eyes.

Try putting some cold cream around your hair line etc. and the dye should come away easily.

Jane , Richmond, B.C.

I got a tip from my hairdresser she said to use vaseline too, but if you don't have it just use an old chap stick. it works just as well!!!

Do not do what onix893 said. I tried it and and it irritated my skin and I still have the today it kept it on!

June 12, 2013 Flag

I love colors from purple, to pink, to green, or blue hair. I used to bleach and dye it in high school, but got tired of the constant staining of the back of my neck and ears when I let my hair down after being dry. Any tips from those who regularly do this and don't seem to have that trouble?

By VA

When you think you are done rinsing, rinse some more. That's usually the main problem. If that doesn't work, use just a tiny bit of shampoo after you rinse well to do a light shampoo. Then blot your hair as dry as possible.

My hairdresser always puts a layer of Vaseline petroleum jelly around my hairline, ears and back of my neck and I have never had stains on my skin. She just wipes it all off when she shampoos the color out. Hope this helps.

Health & Beauty Beauty Skin Care AdviceAugust 8, 2012
Getting Hair Dye Off Skin
Getting Hair Dye Off Skin
Up close photo of red, wavy hair.
Homemade Hair Dye Recipes
Sink with hair dye stains
Removing Hair Dye from a Bathroom Sink
Red Hair Dye
Removing Hair Dye Stains from a Bathtub
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 13, 2016 at 3:40:25 PM on 10.0.1.73 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.