Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Keeping Hair Dye Off Your Skin

When dyeing hair at home, it's important to take some precautions to avoid getting the color on your skin. This guide is about keeping hair dye off skin.

November 11, 2010 Flag

I color my hair at home, and always end up with dye on my forehead and ears, which can stain your skin. I have tried to put petroleum jelly on my hairline, but it would get in my hair and stop the dye from taking. Anyway, I had the idea of using masking tape (the paper, low stick kind) on the skin around my hair line and it works really well, giving me a much more professional look. I have suggested it to friends and it works well for them too. It is a time and skin saver. It is a bit fiddly to get the hang of, but gives awesome results.

By happy ending from Geraldton, Western Australia

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I used to go to the beauty parlor with my mom when I was very young, and wondered why some ladies had pink tape around the edges of their hair and ears. Thanks to you, the mystery is solved! Thanks!

February 14, 2005 Flag

To prevent my ears/neck/hairline from getting covered in tell-tale dye spots when I dye my hair, I smear vaseline on them.

Even if I do get dye on these areas, the vaseline acts as a barrier from keeping the dye off of my skin and wipes off easily when I'm done.

By Ashley

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I'm tell you. Tide to go pen and a scotchbrite pad (green side) takes it off in a jiffy, just have to let tide sit on skin for a quick second.

August 19, 2006 Flag

I see how to get hair dye off the skin as a question a lot in the feedback. How do you keep it off in the first place so you don't have to work to take it off.

Susan from Port Orchard, WA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

One method is to spread a thin layer of petroleum jelly around your hairline.

I spread Noxzema around the hairline and re-apply if needed.

Buy a dark headband from the dollar store, if your dye is dark. Under it apply any form of hand lotion or cream rinse all around your hairline and neck. Plan on using the headband again and again, although stained. If you shake your dye enough, it should be bubbly and not so runny, and if you cut

the spout on the applicator too wide you will have drips. Use only the amount you need, save the rest.

Don't put too much on it. Work on newspaper on the floor in the bathroom, wearing a dark blouse/shirt wrong side out and remove all bath rugs in case of drips. Check yourself all over immediately and often

throughout the process, wearing a cheap shower cap for the waiting time, OR wear a med. large plastic produce sack tied tightly to prevent drafts, drying and drips.

I have hairdresser's license but have never had my own clients, only family and friends. I have done my own hair for over 45 yrs. Remember, also, that dark

dyes are now GREATLY at risk of causing urinary cancer!!! Consider medium or light colors. Good luck and God bless.

When I used to color my hair I would put vaseline about 1 inch around the areas needed. Then just wash the vaseline off.

I'm a hairdresser, and everyone is right, a protective coating of some sort on the skin will keep the dye from getting on the skin. Be careful not to get it on your hair though, or it will also prevent the dye from penetrating the hair as well.

Smear vaseline on the skin adjacent to the area where the dye is being used.

To keep hair color from staining your skin, simply apply vaseline around the hairline and on top of you ears. Just be careful to keep the vaeline away from your hair, otherwise the color will not take.

If there is dye in your skin, before rinsing the dye out of your hair mix shampoo and baking soda into a paste and rub it into your skin. you can even do this right after putting the dye on it. just be careful not to get it into your hair or eyes.

Try putting some cold cream around your hair line etc. and the dye should come away easily.

Jane , Richmond, B.C.

I got a tip from my hairdresser she said to use vaseline too, but if you don't have it just use an old chap stick. it works just as well!!!

June 12, 2013 Flag

I love colors from purple, to pink, to green, or blue hair. I used to bleach and dye it in high school, but got tired of the constant staining of the back of my neck and ears when I let my hair down after being dry. Any tips from those who regularly do this and don't seem to have that trouble?

By VA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

When you think you are done rinsing, rinse some more. That's usually the main problem. If that doesn't work, use just a tiny bit of shampoo after you rinse well to do a light shampoo. Then blot your hair as dry as possible.

My hairdresser always puts a layer of Vaseline petroleum jelly around my hairline, ears and back of my neck and I have never had stains on my skin. She just wipes it all off when she shampoos the color out. Hope this helps.

Health & Beauty Beauty Skin Care AdviceAugust 8, 2012
Getting Hair Dye Off Skin
Getting Hair Dye Off Skin
Woman holding a dog in arms.
Removing Pet Hair from Clothing
Up close photo of red, wavy hair.
Homemade Hair Dye Recipes
Sink with hair dye stains
Removing Hair Dye from a Bathroom Sink
👒
🐰
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site.
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 28, 2017 at 1:26:00 PM on 10.0.0.36 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.