Keeping Hair Dye Off Your Skin

When dyeing hair at home, it's important to take some precautions to avoid getting the color on your skin. This guide is about keeping hair dye off skin.

Keeping Hair Dye Off Skin
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

I color my hair at home, and always end up with dye on my forehead and ears, which can stain your skin. I have tried to put petroleum jelly on my hairline, but it would get in my hair and stop the dye from taking. Anyway, I had the idea of using masking tape (the paper, low stick kind) on the skin around my hair line and it works really well, giving me a much more professional look. I have suggested it to friends and it works well for them too. It is a time and skin saver. It is a bit fiddly to get the hang of, but gives awesome results.

By happy ending from Geraldton, Western Australia

CommentMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

To prevent my ears/neck/hairline from getting covered in tell-tale dye spots when I dye my hair, I smear vaseline on them.

Even if I do get dye on these areas, the vaseline acts as a barrier from keeping the dye off of my skin and wipes off easily when I'm done.

By Ashley

I see how to get hair dye off the skin as a question a lot in the feedback. How do you keep it off in the first place so you don't have to work to take it off.

Susan from Port Orchard, WA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Do not do what onix893 said. I tried it and and it irritated my skin and I still have the today it kept it on!

Read More Answers...

I love colors from purple, to pink, to green, or blue hair. I used to bleach and dye it in high school, but got tired of the constant staining of the back of my neck and ears when I let my hair down after being dry. Any tips from those who regularly do this and don't seem to have that trouble?

By VA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

My hairdresser always puts a layer of Vaseline petroleum jelly around my hairline, ears and back of my neck and I have never had stains on my skin. She just wipes it all off when she shampoos the color out. Hope this helps.

Read More Answers...
Health & Beauty Beauty Skin Care AdviceAugust 8, 2012
Getting Hair Dye Off Skin
Getting Hair Dye Off Skin
Up close photo of red, wavy hair.
Homemade Hair Dye Recipes
Sink with hair dye stains
Removing Hair Dye from a Bathroom Sink
Red Hair Dye
Removing Hair Dye Stains from a Bathtub
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 19, 2016 at 10:56:06 AM on 10.0.0.137 in 526 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.