Getting Hair Dye Off Skin

Category Coloring
It happens, you are dyeing your hair and either didn't wear gloves or accidentally get some on the skin around your hairline. This is a guide about getting hair dye off skin.

Warning: Some materials are not designed to be used on skin and could cause a chemical burn. Always follow the manufacturer's safety guidelines.

Over the years, I have dyed my hair everything from bright pink to blue black. Along the way, I have also accidentally dyed by ears, my neck,my arms and many other body parts, I won't mention. After trying all of the normal methods, I found that the best way to get dried hair dye off of skin is with a combo of Simple Green and baking soda. Not only will it cut through the dye like a hot knife through butter but it will give you a great exfoliation as well!

Keep in mind though, that although the Simple Green is a nontoxic biodegradable cleaner, it will strip your hair of any color. So keep it on the skin and off the hair unless you want blond roots! ;) Hope this helps!

By Roxanne from Richmond, TX

I used my son's Johnson & Johnson baby body wash the one in the yellow bottle, then I added a bit of sugar to make a light scrub. Within seconds all the hair dye came off my skin, I now make a batch and use it as a body scrub once a week and my skin is super soft.

I usually put conditioner around my hair line, ears, neck; anywhere I know dye will get. After I'm done dying my hair, it comes right off! No worries if you get some on your hair before dying it, doesn't do any damage. If you are worried, you can just wipe it off the hair.

By ilma

All I ever do is use Palmolive dish soap on a facecloth with hot water and voila! I wipe it off immediately as soon as I am done putting dye all over my hair. This has worked for me always.

How do you get hair dye off your face?

By June from Gateshead

Answers

Best Answer

Hair dye deposits it's color onto and into the skin no differently than it does ones hair. To remove it, is actually like trying to remove a stain. When it's on the face or hands, it will wear off in time, of course, but to get gone "instantly" there's 2 ways it can be removed. Neither one is desirable though.

You can add some lemon juice to some lotion in your hands, and leave that on, as the lemon will help (bleach it out), but that takes awhile leaving it undisturbed. Put on plastic gloves for a few hours with the "lemon lotion" and that will help increase the effectiveness.

On the face, around the hair line, what I've done before is take "hair lightener"...(which is used on the hair and scalp) and dab some of that on top of the stained spots on the skin. Don't leave it on too long, as it can really irritate the skin. Make sure you use (an alkaliner) like baking soda and water after you wash it off, which will help neutralize it in the skin afterwards.

My crazy daughter dyed her friend's hair dark brown, without gloves! It is 2 weeks til prom and her hands look like she dipped them in old engine oil!

By Shasha

Answers

Best Answer

Mix equal parts baking soda and dishwashing liquid. If you have lemon add that juice also. Apply the mixture to a damp washcloth. Rub it onto the affected area until the stain has lifted. Rinse off the mixture with warm water. Apply some lotion because baking soda makes skin dry.

Every time I get my hair colored (I really have white hair and have it colored golden blonde), my scalp gets really pink. What can I do to get rid of the scalp color? Or make it go away sooner?

By littlebit from Saint Joseph, MI

Answers

Best Answer

As a former cosmetologist and major allergy sufferer, I can say from more than one viewpoint that the pink scalp is nothing to play around with. When I was a cosmetologist, we were required to do a patch test on all customers any time we changed the brand or shade of hair color we used. If there was a reaction it didn't always mean the customer needed to stay away from color, but that we needed to try a different brand, or even a different shade of the same brand. If the patch test is used and there is any irritation, keep trying until you find one that does not have a reaction; this may even mean bringing your own color to the salon if the ones there all cause reactions.

If they all cause reactions see an allergist, you may have other sensitivities as well. Do not add anything to the color or just take a benedryl without first trying to alleviate the problem, as this is the least dangerous option. Danger? I know someone who would pop benadryl when she had a reaction and one day she had to take 4 doses before the reaction slowed, 4 doses is a day's worth, and she had to take them all within maybe an hour, next time she may not be so fortunate. Also, have you ever seen a full-blown allergic scalp reaction to a chemical such as color or perm? Horrible to see, painful for its victim, and the effects are lasting.

I dyed my boyfriend's hair and he has hair dye all on his forehead and ears. We have tried everything to get it off; any other tips?

By Rebecca

Answers

Anonymous
Best Answer

There is a product at beauty supply stores (such as Sally Beauty Supply) you can buy made by Clairol called Clean Touch and it's gentle to the skin. Just follow the directions. In the future carefully spread a very thin layer of Vaseline (or other petroleum jelly brand) along his hairline and on his ears. Be sure not to get the jelly 'on the hair' or the color won't take correctly in those spots.

I've dyed my hair and now I have a red ring of dye still on my head. How do I remove it? I need help ASAP!

By Jaki from London

Answers

Best Answer

We learned the hard way. Once it sets, hand lotion works best.

Load More