Keeping Hair Dye Off Your Skin

When dyeing hair at home, it's important to take some precautions to avoid getting the color on your skin. This guide is about keeping hair dye off skin.

I color my hair at home, and always end up with dye on my forehead and ears, which can stain your skin. I have tried to put petroleum jelly on my hairline, but it would get in my hair and stop the dye from taking. Anyway, I had the idea of using masking tape (the paper, low stick kind) on the skin around my hair line and it works really well, giving me a much more professional look. I have suggested it to friends and it works well for them too. It is a time and skin saver. It is a bit fiddly to get the hang of, but gives awesome results.

By happy ending from Geraldton, Western Australia

Anonymous
Top Comment

That's a really good idea, Happy Ending, but you can also just take an old damp washcloth and simply wipe the color that's on your skin off once you apply the color to your hair if you don't want to fiddle with tape or mess with the petroleum jelly.

JustPlainJo, actually that pink tape was used for keeping the old fashioned metal clips used for hair rollers and/or used for making pin curls and waves from burning skin where they might be touching ears and hairline when you sat under the hot hair dryers of old while drying. Once the hair paper called San-ex came out it was used instead. Not only was I a hairstylist for 35 years but so was my mom for that many years. I was in her womb when she was in Beauty School and worked on Saturday's in her salon when I was 12 and 13 helping remove those rollers for all of the stylists, sweeping hair, getting coffee for the clients, etc. :-)

To prevent my ears/neck/hairline from getting covered in tell-tale dye spots when I dye my hair, I smear vaseline on them.

Even if I do get dye on these areas, the vaseline acts as a barrier from keeping the dye off of my skin and wipes off easily when I'm done.

By Ashley

I see how to get hair dye off the skin as a question a lot in the feedback. How do you keep it off in the first place so you don't have to work to take it off.

Susan from Port Orchard, WA

Answers

By Jaelyn (Guest Post)
Best Answer

Put vaseline around the hairline and the dye can't stick. I've tried it and it really works!

I love colors from purple, to pink, to green, or blue hair. I used to bleach and dye it in high school, but got tired of the constant staining of the back of my neck and ears when I let my hair down after being dry. Any tips from those who regularly do this and don't seem to have that trouble?

By VA

Answers

Best Answer

When you think you are done rinsing, rinse some more. That's usually the main problem. If that doesn't work, use just a tiny bit of shampoo after you rinse well to do a light shampoo. Then blot your hair as dry as possible.

Best Answer

My hairdresser always puts a layer of Vaseline petroleum jelly around my hairline, ears and back of my neck and I have never had stains on my skin. She just wipes it all off when she shampoos the color out. Hope this helps.