Remembering To Take Items With You

Tips for remembering to bring items with you when you walk out the door.

By The Front Door

Whenever I need to remember to take anything with me I leave the item or items by the front door so that I will see them as I leave.

By Robin

Block The Front Door

Put them in front of the door so that the item blocks you from opening the door. If I don't do this I just walk right past the item.

By Mari

Count The Items

This works like magic. Count all the items you can't leave your house without (for me it's keys, money, phone, ID, cigarettes). Remember that that's 5 items (maybe differnet for you). Before you leave, count to make sure you have your X number of items. It broke the habit of leaving stuff for me. You can also make up a word/sentence, with a letter for each item you need to get.

By Sam

Hang a Bag on the Door Knob

Hanging a small bag on the door knob of your front door to hold keys, lipstick, address or to-do book, pen, etc. will make sure that you take everything essential with you when you run out the door. Toss mail to be mailed that day, a shopping list, your daily coupons, a watch, or anything else you need, into that little bag and as you run out the door, grab it and put it into your chosen purse or handbag of the day!

By Leanne

Post your ideas below.

Top Comment

As soon as I remember I'll need to take something with me I'll either put it in the car right then, lay it on top of my purse (which I never leave home without), or put it in my purse. It works for me!

Top Comment

Put all your items together and then put your car keys with it. If you drive you can't leave home without it.

We did this with our kids after leaving one at the church dinner...6 kids---roll call before we leave! It became a wonderful game, lifesaver and now a sweet household is NOW down to 5 kids, and we'll only have 3 when my twins leave for college in August! So easy...

My mom had a neat little trick when she would stop at my house or a friends house after going to the grocery. And she had to put something in the frig while she visited, so it would not spoil. She did not want to forget it, so she put her car keys in the bag with the grocery items in the frig. She didn't leave without it.

make a game of it. Place things like cell phone chargers, in an area close to the front door. In the evening when you get home see how fast you can put away your x items and in the morning see if you can beat that time getting them organized again. I also have a list of items I need in my purse by the front door. In addition, I have a purse situation such that I hardly ever have to take anything out.

Organizing Memory TricksMay 10, 2007
Closeup of Pills in Weekly Medication Organizer
Remembering to Take Medicine
image of library due date card
Remembering to Return Items to the Library
A man looking at his smartphone calendar.
Remembering Appointments
Various promotional items.
Removing Logos from Promotional Items