Tips to Help You Remember

This guide contains tips to help you remember. There are a number of ways you can remind yourself of things you need to bring or do.

Use your voice to help you remember. I used to have trouble remembering if I took my pills or turned off a certain appliance in my home. Now I say it out-loud, "It's Monday morning, and I have taken my pills." or, "I am turning OFF the oven (or iron, or whatever appliance)." It may seem a little silly, but when I'm 15 miles down the road, I don't have to turn around and go back home to check on something, because I remember telling myself that I turned off the iron. Try it; it really works!

By Cheryl from Northwest, OH

Top Comment

Yours is a great tip, it sounds ( no pun intended) that you're an auditory learner. Back in the 70's, science narrowed us all down to three basic sorts of learners. One is auditory, sound. People who learn and remember best this way like to listen to tapes, lectures ( and yes, even the sound of your own voice as reminders!) Another is tactile: these are the people who remember and learn best by touching, moving and doing. If you throw the instruction sheets off to the side and work best just assembling something on your own, you're a tactile.

The last one are the visual learners. Showing them pictures, slides, films or diagrams gets the best results.

For me, repeating something out loud wouldn't work. Think I'm a mixture of a tactile and visual. Have always written out a to-do list, and that's a combo of doing and seeing the words. Great tip, though, got me thinking of other ways for better reminders in my "learner" type.

Tips for remembering to bring items with you when you walk out the door.

By The Front Door

Whenever I need to remember to take anything with me I leave the item or items by the front door so that I will see them as I leave.

By Robin

Block The Front Door

Put them in front of the door so that the item blocks you from opening the door. If I don't do this I just walk right past the item.

By Mari

Count The Items

This works like magic. Count all the items you can't leave your house without (for me it's keys, money, phone, ID, cigarettes). Remember that that's 5 items (maybe differnet for you). Before you leave, count to make sure you have your X number of items. It broke the habit of leaving stuff for me. You can also make up a word/sentence, with a letter for each item you need to get.

By Sam

Hang a Bag on the Door Knob

Hanging a small bag on the door knob of your front door to hold keys, lipstick, address or to-do book, pen, etc. will make sure that you take everything essential with you when you run out the door. Toss mail to be mailed that day, a shopping list, your daily coupons, a watch, or anything else you need, into that little bag and as you run out the door, grab it and put it into your chosen purse or handbag of the day!

By Leanne

Post your ideas below.

Top Comment

As soon as I remember I'll need to take something with me I'll either put it in the car right then, lay it on top of my purse (which I never leave home without), or put it in my purse. It works for me!

By Caryn (Guest Post)
Top Comment

Put all your items together and then put your car keys with it. If you drive you can't leave home without it.

I have a tip for trying to remember things. After being downsized like so many of us these days, I went back to school to retrain for a different job. I found that if I re-type something I really needed to remember, it not only honed my keyboarding skills, but helped me to remember what I read. Once I typed it out word for word, it was sort of engraved in my memory! Works great for me. I hope other can get some good out of it!

By Su from Sandusky, OH

Top Comment

When studying, I do something very similar. But rather than typing the info verbatim, I summarize and paraphrase it. (Basically, I act as if I were an editor assigned the task of condensing the book.) I think this is even more effective than typing it verbatim, because you're putting the material in your own words.

My sister taught me this trick to help you remember something you have to do before you leave the house. Just put a post it note or magnet on the door you use to leave and it will remind you that you have to do something. It's great when we are filling up the pool or need to turn on the slow cooker.

By Scaryone

If you're anything like me, my memory fails me quite often. On a rainy day I choose to drive with my headlights on but often forget to turn them off. On older model cars you do not get a reminder bell, so I simply turn the lights on and immediately lock my driver's door.

So you don't "forget" that important item from work that you want to take home, put your car keys in it or on it. You won't forget the item

When you need to remember something, write it down. The act of writing triggers a different part of the brain than the part that hears, making you twice as likely to remember. (even if you lose the note).

If I am taking food to work or home from a party I put my car keys in the fridge with it. I never get far without it! By Linda

In order to remember all the things I need to bring to work, I always place them in a bag the night before and hang the bag on the door knob!

My wife used rubberbands to jog her memory. Somedays she will come home from work with 4 rubberbands on her wrist. Each rubberband represents something she wanted to do when she got home.

I need to recall math formulas for tests and have spent way too much time studying. As soon as I memorize one, I forget the next or mix them up. Any suggestions?

Holly from Richardson, TX

Answers

By (Guest Post)
Best Answer

Information sticks better when it goes in via all modalities - i.e. - WRITING (copying, etc.) physical modality LISTENING ( hearing, repeating out loud) and
VISUAL (seeing - as in having flash cards, reading over material)

Each of us has a way we learn best. Focus on which of these modalities really works for you, but don't forget to reinforce the learning from other angles, as well - to really make the material STICK. I would also recommend study aids, like flash cards, etc. to carry around with you during the day to look at - and/or listening to a tape recorder if you have to drive. They will increase your study time. You also have to watch the point where you just can't absorb any more and are wasting your time. After that, it's more efficient to switch to something else, and come back to the difficult subject later. Make your study time pleasant. I got through high school algebra listening to classical music on the radio and records! And in college I drank a lot of hot tea in my dorm room.

By bookgrrl42 (Guest Post)
Best Answer

I read something about people who have incredible memories and have won contests for how many things they can remember - like the numeric value of pi up to 10,000 numbers. The article said that people who can memorize huge amounts of information take advantage of how your brain stores data and rather than just using the traditional "rote" memorization, they add other things to the item they memorize to help retain the memory. They suggested that if you pair a concept with a visual picture and even a geographical connection you remember it better. The example they gave had to do with remembering names. They suggested that to remember names - visualize the person, and even if you don't know where they are from make up a "story" about that person and either picture a place they are from that maybe rhymes with their name or even picture them in a distinct place - the room / location you met them in, or a made up place (roller rink, on a cloud, etc.-- something out there). You can even visualize a map to their house / town /etc. By pairing their name with an unrelated item particularly visuals and geography, you're more likely to remember it.