Making New Year Resolutions

Making and keeping New Year's resolutions is an annual ritual for many of us. This is a page about making New Year resolutions.

A suggestion was broached here at ThriftyFun regarding sharing our personal New Years resolutions. My New Years resolution is to pray and practice daily (365), even on a bad day, to work harder to do the best humanly possible to think and act kindly and thoughtfully in every single little aspect of life towards all others in every single situation. We are each definitely just a little tiny drop in the bucket but each of our bucket drops will help make this world a much better place to be!

And I truly believe that if 'we all' would just take a deep breath and 'walk a mile' in other human beings, animal beings and our earths environmental shoes with a smile and thankful collective prayers that we could make a huge difference! This includes how you talk to and treat strangers or your children or spouse or your checker at your local market and even when in a hurry trying to get to or from somewhere/anywhere in your car!

We are all connected and each of us can make a positive difference in even the tiniest actions that we make! I do try really hard already but even more prayer and thoughtfulness is my resolution and I pray this is food for thought for you to practice this as your New Years Resolution too :-)

By Deeli from Richland, WA

New Year resolutions are not something I ever make, I regret them all year long after I break them. This year we weren't given a choice but to make resolutions. We had an unwelcome early Christmas surprise. My husband Bob, had to have open heart surgery on Dec. 22. To us the most important thing about Christmas is being together with family, and our sons were with us.

Our gift was Bob getting a new chance at life. The term "life changing experience" really took on deeper meaning to our family all of a sudden. The little everyday irritations of life were forgotten in a "heart beat" and the bigger obstacles are now simply accepted without a second thought.

Beside the physical changes, I have to learn a new way of cooking. No more spur of the moment "Oh, let's fry a steak and fries". That is out! No more drowning popcorn in hot butter and extra salt. You see the problem only starts there; for all of our 43 years of married life we have had our own well marbled beef. We spent many of those years working on the ranch, which meant chicken fried in lard for Sunday dinner and the flakiest crusts for pies made from lard for dessert, which we had with every meal. But you get the idea that was a way of life, our way of life.

We now share one pork chop, cook fresh vegetables from our garden, and eat a little more salad instead. We share a piece of fruit mid morning and mid afternoon. Bob has never been a fruit eater so this in itself has been a big change for him.

So when we got Bob home, I went through our pantry and freezer making a note of what legal foods we had and what we would need. Bob had checkups with two different doctors in two weeks so I needed to get all we would need at that time including his prescription refills. We can't be making any unnecessary trips with the bills we will be facing. Nothing that isn't absolutely necessary. So, now I plan our meals farther ahead and am trying to use up what we have in stock more than I bothered with before. We knew Bob's blood pressure was a little high, so I had purchased No Salt to use on his food a couple of months ago. If you haven't been one to read labels, believe me it will shock you at the amount of sodium or salt they put in foods. Quite a few foods such as tuna have low sodium versions if you look.

I suggest everyone resolve to cut back before you find yourself in the same position we are. You don't want to spend Christmas in a hospital wondering if it will be your last with your loved one.

By Ann Winberg from Loup City, NE

Do you have a frugal story to share with the ThriftyFun community? Submit your essay here: http://www.thriftyfun.com/post_myfrugallife.ldml

I've lived by giving, and receive from others who do the same, so many blessings and moments of joy and it's by and because of these words of wisdom over and over in a lifetime!

Some people dread resolutions but not me! I look forward to them because mine aren't all just negative. Instead, they are dreams and new goals to improve my life and my family's life!

A green glass filled with a red liquid on top of a 2018 calendar.

My name is Misti and I'm 27 years old. I live with my husband and 7 year old son. I started living a frugal life after I realized one day that I've been working for 10 years and I only have $200 in savings to show for it.

I mean come on, shouldn't a 27 year old have more to show for all the work I've done? So I started 2007 off with a bang. My New Year's resolution was to cut expenses as much as possible and save, save, save.

Just read an interesting thought on New Year's resolutions. Instead of choosing one challenge that you may not be able to actually do for the year, why not choose a theme that you try to live by in your everyday challenges in the year instead?

Alternative to New Year's Resolutions

Resolutions don't need to be painful promises we won't really keep! This year, I've got a few new ideas to add to the mix. Feel free to personalize to your interests.

10 Unique New Year's Resolutions

I like the comment I heard today in exercise class. This young woman said she doesn't make new year's resolutions but instead picks a word to think more about and implement personally for the year. Her words this year were "commitment" and "support". That's an interesting concept!

A houseplant in a pot on the floor.

Not all of my 2012 new year's resolutions focus on money. There are a few others like going to the gym regularly and calling my grandmother more often. But the money saving resolutions are the one I'm looking forward to the most.

New Years Resolutions

My New Year's Resolution Tip is to wait until March or April to start working on my resolution. If your resolution is to lose weight the dark, cold days of winter can be very discouraging.

A wall of sticky notes with New Year resolutions.

Many people make New Years promises, as I call them, only to find them failed by the next few months. I don't do those for one reason. Many promises begin with the promise to fail. I started learning that you have to find something you love in order to make it with joy.

A selection of handmade greeting cards.

My tip for keeping my resolutions is to keep them realistic. Like losing weight, the resolution is to slowly and healthily lose some weight.

Everyone knows the situation. At the beginning of each year, we make resolutions that may rapidly become obsolete or slowly wane as days and months pass.

Kelly Ann Butterbaugh

It's a new year and resolutions abound. Why not try some simple resolutions that will affect our spending and saving?

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

Another year has come and gone and once again we are given the opportunity to wipe the slate clean and have a chance to adopt healthy new habits and new ways of being.

Resolutions for a Green New Year

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

Today's poll asks: Are you making any new year's resolutions for your personal finances?

Load More

Better Living Self ImprovementOctober 12, 2012
😷
😎
🌻
🐛
📓
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Making-New-Year-Resolutions.html