Soak Towel in Cooler Ice for Working Outside

This is a tip for keeping cool while working in the yard or garden when the temps and humidity are high. Years ago, we operated a lawn business. Arkansas is really hot and humid in the summer, so we carried a big cooler with plenty of ice, bottles of water, tea, etc. We put a few inches of water into the cooler. Each of us had our own towel that we threw into this cooler, soaked it up in the ice water, wrung it out and draped it around our necks as we went about our mowing in the 100" temps and 90% humidity. We would periodically resoak the towel in the ice water and re-apply. I don't think we could have done our job without this cooling trick.

By Harlean from Hot Springs, Arkansas

Hi, yes that is indeed a lifesaver! Not only working outside, but it helped me get through the summer of H...E....double hockey sticks last year when I lived out in the country without air conditioning in a mobile home no less! Yeek, you are probably saying, yes indeed, by noon each day the thermometer in the trailer read over 99 and that was as high as it goes. I live in Oklahoma which is pretty much the same as the summer weather there in Arkansas and last summer was a real doosy. I am happy to say, though with the ice water towels on the back of the neck, I was able to survive it. The good news is, I have moved from that place and am now in the city with nice cold air :-)

Thank you Jesus :-)

Here is another idea to keep cool. These are great on the golf course also. Here is a pattern to make a "cool tie" http://seworganized.com/sewsimple/cooltie.html

You can buy them for anywhere from $4-$6.00, but can make much cheaper. Make neat, cheap gifts

Better Living Green Living CoolingJuly 18, 2007
A beach towel wedding cake.
Making a Towel Wedding Cake
Oven Door Towel
Making an Oven Door Towel
Removing Ice from Your Windshield, Gloved hand scraping icy windshield.
Removing Ice from Your Windshield
Towel Holder
Making a Kitchen Towel Holder
🎄