Store Honey in the Refrigerator

Years ago I switched away from white sugar as much as possible. That meant using honey in my coffee and it wasn't difficult at all to get used to. Since then I've used it in bread baking also. When fall arrives in Ohio, temps in my kitchen often fell below 70 degrees and the honey would begin to crystallize. I'd heat it to re-melt but that got old.

I checked honey out on google. Seems its nature is to crystallize between 50-70 degrees F. So, store it in your refrigerator and it never will again. I keep a small supply in a wide-mouth pint canning jar on my counter for daily use. If I decide it is too thick to flow, I simply pop it in the microwave for a few seconds.

Problem solved.

By Chuck from Canton, OH

That is awesome! Going to try it tonight. thanks

Remelting honey should be done by setting in a pan of warm water. Anything over 160 degrees F, destroys the enzymes. We are old beekeepers (5,ooo hives approx)

To keep honey from crystallizing, just turn the jar over once a week or so. Honey is one of nature's miracles, because it is the only known food which does not spoil, ever. Honey has been found in Egyptian tombs, crystallized but still edible, after many thousands of years. Just keep it moving, and it can't crystallize.

Food and Recipes StorageDecember 17, 2008
Refrigerator Drip Pan Fills with Water
Refrigerator Drip Pan Fills with Water
Saving Money on a Refrigerator, A new side by side refrigerator and freezer in stainless steel.
Saving Money on a Refrigerator
View of the water line.
Flushing a Refrigerator Water Line
Honey Mustard Dip Recipes
Honey Mustard Dip Recipes
🎄
🍂
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on November 22, 2016 at 7:17:39 AM on 10.0.0.121 in 973 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.