Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Freezing Lemons

1 0EmailFollow
Frozen lemon slices on ice.

Freezing is a great way to preserve the unused portion of a lemon or extra lemons for future use. This is a guide about freezing lemons.

Solutions: Freezing Lemons

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Tip: Freezing Cut Lemons

I have no idea how anyone else does this, in fact I thought I was alone in this area. It is funny some of the thrifty tips we tend not to "tell" in case it's too much. I live where there are beautiful lemon, lime, and avocado trees everywhere, however not in my back yard. Sometimes people who have a bunch share so you get a lot at one time.

I love lemons, if for nothing else other than for a facial astringent and putting down my garbage disposal. I also like to use them on my salmon (fish) and in water. Once they get too ripe, that's what I use for cleaning.

With all of this in mind, this is how I freeze them. Slices need to be cut, put on microfiber or paper towels to soak up not all the wonderful juice but the extra that makes it almost impossible to enjoy once you take them out of the freezer. I make a slit in those before I freeze one. That way if you want to use it on a glass it's easy; I put it there before they are totally thawed out (some get limp if too thin).

The ones you are using in quarters or halves do exactly the same thing. Don't squeeze them after you cut, just let them rest a couple minutes on something that absorbs. This way it's not sticky and messy when getting out of the freezer.

Like I said, I never knew others did this so this is how I do it. Of course wash before starting to get ready for freezing. I find using before totally thawed lemon is best. Unless you are going to just squeeze them over salmon (fish) or for lemonade in the winter, then you can just wash, cut in two and put in a bag. I cut off a corner of a baggie and squeeze right through the bag to avoid any extra mess. You still can go back for the pulp.

If someone has better technique please share. Hope this helped. It does work for me now for many years of beautiful California lemons. You can do the same with limes.

By Luana M. from San Diego, CA

Tip: Freeze Cut Lemon for Drinks

I enjoy having cut up lemon in my Coke, lemonade, water, etc. However, often before I get the whole lemon used up, it becomes brown and soft.

Now I quarter each lemon slice, lay it in a single layer on a cookie sheet, freeze,. Then I put them in a zip lock bag and return them to the freezer. I can buy lemons now when they are a good price, and freeze them and keep them handy!

By Mommapatty

Tip: Freeze Lemon Slices

I slice all my lemons. Then I will wrap two or three slices together in Sarah Wrap. You can wrap more if you like. When I need lemon slices I just take out one of the little packages and the lemons are as fresh as when I sliced them.

Do not wrap all your lemon slices together because you will have one big frozen lemon ball.

By Ce from CA

Tip: Freezing Lemon Juice and Zest

Fresh lemon juice and lemon zest can be pretty pricey most of the year, but I eliminate this consideration by freezing the juice and zest when lemons are on sale.

1. Roll the lemons briefly on a hard surface to release all the juice.

2. Then use a zester tool to harvest the zest.

3. Next, cut the lemons in half and juice into a strainer to remove the pulp and seeds.

4. Pour the juice into a plastic ice cube tray, freeze hard and then release the individual cubes into a plastic freezer bag for long-term storage.

Hint: If you will take the time to use a measuring spoon and water to know exactly how much your ice cube tray holds in one of the partitions, you won't have to guess if you have enough for a recipe.

5. Freeze the zest in a recycled yogurt container. Then, throughout the year when you need fresh lemon juice or lemon zest in a recipe, you already have it.

By Ronsan from Southwest Missouri

Tip: Buying Lemons Tip

You can buy lemons in the winter when they are cheap and freeze the juice in ice-cube trays. One ice-cube section equals about 1 tablespoon of juice.

By Bobbie from Rockwall, TX

Give a "thumbs up" to the solution that worked the best! Do you have a better solution? Click here to share it!

Here are questions related to Freezing Lemons.

Question: Refreezing Frozen Lemons

A friend shipped me fresh lemons from her tree. They froze in shipment and now they are thawed. Can I wash them and cut them in half and refreeze them to use for juice?

By Sylvia F

Question: Freezing Lemons and Limes

How long will they last frozen? 6 months? or longer?
Thanks.

By Lyn

Question: Refreezing Lemon Juice

We juiced lemons and froze them in icetrays. Our freezer broke. Can I refreeze the lemon juice?

By Ron C. from Chalmette, LA

Question: Freezing Lemons

How do I freeze lemons?

By Kathy from Englewood, FL

Most Recent Answer

By Free2B [213]12/22/2011

I take the lazy way out - I freeze lemons and limes whole, untouched. I find that when I thaw them, they are easy to squeeze, and give a lot of juice. I buy them when they are on sale, and then I have them on hand at all times. I have never had a problem with doing it this way. It's so much easier than juicing a dozen or more lemons or limes, and I think I get a lot more juice out of them this way.

Question: How Do You Freeze Lemons?

Can you freeze lemons?

By Jen from Rio Rancho, NM

Most Recent Answer

By Bobbie [2]02/01/2010

I juice my lemons and put one cup at a time in zip lock bags for lemonade and recipes. If you freeze lemon juice in ice cubes, and then take the cubes and put a number of them in a zip lock bag, you can take out small amounts when you need them.

I also freeze the rinds in a bag. If I need lemon zest, it's easier to grate when the rind is frozen. I also put the flush frozen lemon rinds down my disposal with hot water to fresh my disposal and kitchen. If you freeze your lemons, you'll have them available whenever you want them.
Hugs, Bobbie

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: How Do You Freeze Lemons?

How do you freeze lemons? I have too many and don't want to lose them.

Jason from Chandler, AZ

RE: How Do You Freeze Lemons?

Squeeze all the lemons until you having nothing but juice, get rid of all seeds. Pour the juice into clean ice cube trays and freeze cubes until solid. Store lemon cubes in a Ziploc freezer bag and now you have cubes to make a pitcher of fresh lemon aid. Place the lemon cubes in a pitcher and defrost, then add cold water and some sugar to taste.

My husband and I purchased a whole box of fresh lemons from a fruit vendor at a flea market and a friend told me about juicing the lemons and freezing the juice in ice cube trays. (04/16/2008)

By MCW

RE: How Do You Freeze Lemons?

You can also freeze the entire lemon. Once thawed they will become mushy, but the juice will be the same as that of a freshly cut lemon. I have a lemon tree in my garden that in the rainy season (in El Salvador from May to September) gives a generous crop by the hundreds every year. (04/17/2008)

By Frank

RE: How Do You Freeze Lemons?

It's yummy

Authentic Italian Lemon Ice

• 2 cups water
  • 1 cup lemon juice (use juice of 2 lemons plus enough reconstituted juice to yield 1 cup)
  • Zest of 2 lemons, cut very fine
  • 2/3 cup sugar

Heat water and sugar to boiling. Simmer for 5 additional minutes. Remove from heat; stir in lemon juice and zest. Cool to room temperature. Divide mixture evenly among three tubs. Freezer until firm. Shave; scoop into small cups and serve with a spoon or straw. You may wish to garnish with a small thin slice of lemon. (04/17/2008)

By BABBIE

RE: How Do You Freeze Lemons?

You can mix 4 cups of lemon juice with 4 cups of sugar and stir to blend the mixture. Then put in a plastic tub and keep in the freezer. You can scoop a tablespoon or two anytime (the mixture does not freeze hard, but stays soft because of the sugar) in a tall glass and add cold water to make yourself an instant lemonade or dilute a greater amount in a pitcher for a crowd. (04/18/2008)

By Jean

RE: How Do You Freeze Lemons?

Juice them, and freeze the juice in small plastic bottles. If you have an old "fake juice" container, they are perfect, as the juice will squirt out by drops. As with all freezing of liquids, just make sure they are not too full, and don't use glass. I've found this better to make homemade cordial with (just add water and sugar to suit your tastes) than ice cubes, as they often become "fridgey". (04/19/2008)

By Cathy from Townsville, QLD

RE: How Do You Freeze Lemons?

I take the zest off the outside of the lemon and freeze that, and then I juice the lemon and freeze the juice in ice cube trays. That way I'm making use of the zest and the juice. (04/19/2008)

By pet lover

RE: How Do You Freeze Lemons?

I quarter them, place them (not touching) in a single layer on a cookie sheet. When frozen I drop them into a Ziploc bag. To thaw, I remove however many I need and either let them thaw at room temperature or let them soak in warm water. I do limes the same way. For years I've always had plenty of "fresh" lemon for fish and lime for my iced tea. (06/14/2009)

By putter156

Archive: How Do You Freeze Lemons?

How do you freeze whole lemons?

By SLN from Austin, TX