Cabbage and Noodles

This is just delicious comfort food, and really cheap. I make my own turkey sausage with rolls of ground turkey I buy for $1.29 a pound, or less. It's not the leanest turkey, but it's better and cheaper than ground beef. I think most every recipe is to taste, so change it up the way you like. The cooking time is just an estimate, sometimes it takes more.

• 1 medium head cabbage
  • 1 large sweet onion, chopped
  • 1 (16 oz.) bag egg noodles
  • 1 lb. ground turkey
  • 1 cup old fashioned oats
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1 egg
  • 2 tsp. sage
  • 1/2 tsp. rosemary
  • 1/2 tsp. caraway seed, ground
  • 1/4 tsp. salt-free garlic powder
  • 1/4 cup dehydrated onion
  • salt and pepper

Put the raw ground turkey in a mixing bowl. Put the oats in alongside it. Add the sage, rosemary, caraway (I grind it with a mortar and pestle), salt, and pepper to the pile of oatmeal. Beat the egg a little, then stir it into the milk. Pour this over the oats and let it set until the milk is mostly absorbed, about 15 minutes. Mix all of this together.

Melt a little butter in a dutch oven or large skillet. Add the onion and start it cooking. Add the sausage by the tablespoon full, and brown it with the onion.

Paring off the thick white ribs of the cabbage, slice it up about the size and shape of your noodles. Cut the "noodles" in half.

Add the cabbage to the sausage and onions while they brown. Put the lid on, and cook until it is well wilted. If you like, add some more of the same seasonings that you added to the sausage (I do this). Stir occasionally, until the cabbage is nice and tender. Add in the cooked noodles and adjust seasonings to taste. Add 1 cup water or chicken broth, bring to a boil, reduce the heat, and cover the pot. Cook at a good bubble for an hour, adding more liquid as needed. Then take the lid off, and simmer until done.

Servings: 8
Time:15 Minutes Preparation Time
1 1/2 Minutes Cooking Time

By Copasetic 1 from North Royalton, OH

This sounds like a really good meal! I'll be trying it when I next have cabbage, but I prefer rice to noodles. Excellent for leftovers as well. 5 stars!

Just made this last night and it was delicious! I used store bought saugsage but followed the rest of the recipe tweaking the herbs just a bit. I served it with pumpernickel rolls with butter. It made a nice comforting hearty dinner, then we had leftovers for lunch today and there was still enough left to freeze!

Food and Recipes Recipes Main DishesJanuary 19, 2011
Storing Cabbage
Storing Cabbage
Growing Cabbage, Selecting Good Broccoli, Freezing Cabbage
Freezing Cabbage
butterfly of an imported cabbage worm
Garden Insects: Imported Cabbage Worms
Bok choy growing in a field.
Growing Chinese Cabbage