Roots in Sewer Lines

How do I know if I have roots in my sewers?

Nora from Canada

The company, Roto-Rooter can tell you if you do as they have cameras that can see into the sewer line. I called them and they cleared out my sewer line. My basement had flooded a lot under my basement door, where there is a drain outside. Roto-Rooter is in Canada and they came the same day for us.

Maryanne in Ontario

As my sewer repair guy put it, "when toilet paper and what-not won't get through anymore." I liked his being delicate and polite with that terminology.

There is a granular substance that can be found at any hardware (Ace, Lowes, Home Depot) that works to kill any roots in your sewage lines. I have used it for years about twice a year and it works very well. I did the expensive 'camera' and do have copies of my sewer line all the way to the street if anyone would like to buy one....:-) I ignored their $9000 estimate and went with the granular and it has worked well for almost 10 years.

We have a septic tank that kept backing up. We called our local septic tank company and they opened the cleanout valve. They looked to see if there was water laying in the pipe there between the septic tank and the house. If there was water in the pipe then the clog was in the septic tank and if there was no water in the pipe then the clog was in the house. It was determined that ours was in the tank so they ran a snake in the tank and found out that we have what is called spider roots. These are from dollar weed mostly. They suggested that we flush 1/4 cup of rock salt in the toilet once a week for about 2 months. After that just do it periodically. This will not harm the septic at all. The roots will absorb the salt and die off. We have been doing this for about 4 months now and have had no problem since.

Thank you Kvaak, Lgoff15, Kimsis, for all your input. Nora

house with trees
Getting Rid of Roots in a Sewer Line
Home and Garden Home Improvement AdviceMarch 11, 2009
White Low Flow Toilet
Saving Money on Your Sewer Bill
A tree planted too close to a home.
Getting Rid of Tree Roots Under a House Foundation
Closeup of a gopher.
Getting Rid of Gophers
A home with lots of trees and bushes.
Homemade Root Killer