Removing Odors from Plastic Containers

Plastic food storage containers are convenient to use, but sometimes it is very difficult to remove the residual odors left by their contents. This is a guide about removing odors from plastic containers.

May 22, 2011 Flag

I've really gotten into washing out and reusing jars and containers instead of buying brand plastic products. Sometimes the best jars have really tough odors, like pickle and olive jars. I've used this tip that was taught to me from a lovely lady when I was just a child. Wad up a page of newspaper, put it in the jar, seal it, and let it sit for a few days. When you take the paper out, you won't smell any trace of the previous item!

Also, along the same lines, if your refrigerator needs an air freshener, put a few charcoal briquets in a bowl in the back. Works like a charm!

By Maile from Onalaska, WA

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Wow this is the most amazing thing ever! Just the other day - I tried to do the same thing. I happened to sniff at a jar used to have. God knows what was in it. I wanted to to use for rice or something. Couldn't because of the evil smell! Will definitely try your tip & see if it works :D

I had an old school year book and baby albums that had been in a box, they got a bit of a musty smell. I layered sheets of newspaper between the pages here and there throughout the books. Put these inside a small white kitchen garbage bag, then waded up a few sheets of newspaper and placed inside the bag as well. Sealed the bag shut tightly and leave for a week or two. It will remove the smell.

Read More Comments...

January 12, 2010 Flag

Use new coffee filters to get rid of odors in enclosed containers. Like re-using plastic coffee cans or in stored Tupperware with lids on, equals no plastic odor!

By nancyintx

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

This is a great idea for removing the scent of coffee from the container so it can be used for birdseed.

Nancyintx,

What do you mean by a new coffee filter to remove the smell? Is this something you place in the pot? I have a plastic, self-contained coffee maker that I need to remove the smell and taste of coffee from as coffee makes me nauseous.

Thanks for the help.

Snoozy

Read More Comments...

January 17, 2011 Flag

You will never guess what finally removed the leftover aroma from my plastic bowl. I put it outside in a flower pot (to keep the squirrels from playing with it) in full sunlight for 2 days

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

September 3, 2005 Flag

Here's something I just learned, if you have plastic that has like an onion smell or something, wad up newspaper and put it into the container. Then close it up for a day and the smell will be gone. Also newspaper is the best way to clean windows and mirrors, streak free.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 28, 2015 Flag

How do you get the smell out of the Gerber baby food plastic food containers (even though you wash them) before doing a project?

By Marilyn

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Just let them air out a while, couple of days or weeks.

March 12, 2008 Flag

Cyclists' water bottles often come with a pungent plastic taste/odor. To eliminate this; fill bottle 2/3 with vinegar (clear) and 1/3 water; cover/close and let set for 24 hours. Rinse with clean water.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 17, 2005 Flag

Do your plastic coffee mugs have a soapy smell to them? Just soak them in vinegar overnight. If there is a leftover smell of vinegar re-soak in a sink full of hot water and baking soda. By Kat

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 17, 2011 Flag

How do you get the smell out of plastic containers - ie: onions?

By Beverly from Kelowna, BC

Answers:

Removing Odors from Plastic Containers

I was just reading this afternoon that if you leave them sit overnight with a mixture of baking soda and water the smell will be gone the next morning. I haven't tried it yet but hopefully it will work. (09/01/2010)

By zoodad

Removing Odors from Plastic Containers

I wash them in warm soapy water and soak overnight in a mixture of half white vinegar and half water. (09/04/2010)

By Sheltiemom

Removing Odors from Plastic Containers

I run them all through the dishwasher, and don't seem to have odor problems, no matter what I store in them. (09/05/2010)

By louel53

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

September 1, 2010 Flag

To take nasty odors out of a plastic container just stuff a crumpled piece of newspaper into the container after you have washed it and put the lid on. The next day all you have to do is wash the container again and the nasty odor will be gone!

By Robin

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Home and Garden CleaningJune 25, 2012
Plastic Food Containers
Removing Stains from Plastic Food Containers
cigarette smell computer
Removing Cigarette Smoke Odors from a Computer
Disinfectant Wipe Containers
Uses for Disinfectant Wipe Containers
Uses for Plastic Dog Food Containers
🎉
🎄