How To Grow Healthy African Violets

Want to keep your African violet healthy? Follow these tips.

Keep the temperature in your home between 65 to 85 degrees.

The east window is the best lighting for African violets, they need lots of light but not direct sunlight.

Do not over water! Always water from the bottom of the plant. If the plant is dry on the surface then water. I have a device that checks the moisture of the soil, I would suggest you get one of these. They can be purchased at a hardware store. Let water stand overnight to allow the chlorine to evaporate.

Fertilize with African violet fertilizer.

To keep your African violets healthy, they need to be repotted at the least once a year. This gives the plants new nutrients through having fresh soil, and helps get rid of fertilizer salts that may have built up. If one of your African violets has developed a neck, a bare place where the leaves have been taken off, you should repot it as soon as possible so the neck is covered with soil and can grow new roots.

Enjoy your beautiful African violets!

By Jean from Forest Lake, MN

I have found that African Violets will also grow in a North window if the light is filtered. I have several that stay covered with blooms year-round. I like the violet pots that are made in two pieces - with them, you just keep water in the outer pot and the water soaks through the inner pot to keep them moist. Thanks for sharing this information with us and God bless you.

I like to have about 3 plants at a time and set them on a long planter saucer (about 4-5" X 8-9") that has been partly filled with aquarium rocks. I keep water in the rocks but not allowing it the pot to stand in the water. this way they get humidity even when it's so dry inside.

I've never grown any African Violets, but have always heard that if you can't get them to bloom to bury a rusty nail in the soil of the plant. A friend of mine had an African Violet that wouldn't bloom, she tried this and said it worked.

When mine get dry, I water them real good, let the water drain out then water again with cold Camomile tea. They bloom all the time.

African Violets
Growing African Violets
Home and Garden Gardening House PlantsJuly 16, 2008
Pot of purple African Violets against a white background
Buying African Violets
Close up of three African Violet blooms against green foilage
Using Rusty Nails for African Violets
African Daisy Photo
Growing African Daisies
Healthy Crockpot Recipes
Healthy Crockpot Recipes
🎉
🎄