Keep an Emergency Envelope in Your Purse

contest winner icon

My family knows if I am ever in need of medical help and can't speak for myself to get the orange envelope out of my purse. Orange is my favorite color and easily found in my purse. In this envelope I keep: my medical card, medicare card, social security card, list of my medications and medical conditions, card from eye doctor with eye problems on it, hospital choice, list of doctors, etc. I also have a copy of my living will in the envelope. If I have an appointment, I can get at my 'insurance' cards easily, seems they have to copy them every time I go. Keeping the info all together saves time and could save a life.

By knitter926 from Bloomington, IL

I don't plan to need this (of course), but I've made a note for Monday to get all this stuff together and make my envelope marked "emergency".

Hello - this is a good idea and I have done this for many years. But please do not put your Social Security card in this envelope.

Officials recommend that you keep your SS card at home in a safe place as it is not required (or should not be) for doctors or anything any more. You can memorize your number just in case but should not have it in your purse.

ER people need your present medications and anything that you cannot take more than they need any other info. Medications will tell them a lot about you.

Medicare card has SS number on it. Don't ever keep anything with SS number in your purse. Someone said take a copy of it and black out the SS number.

DO NOT carry your Social Security card with you~in your purse or wallet. It should be left home in a safe place. It is not an identification card. It should only be used to verify your SSN for an employer or maybe a bank. Purses/wallets get stolen every day. Carrying too much information just leaves you vulnerable to identity theft. You're making it really easy for those thieves!

Also, I now use the child seat belt in shopping carts to secure my purse. Think about it--you turn your head or are a few steps from your cart to look at something & you're an easy mark for someone to just walk off with your purse. It may not stop the thief, but it might just slow him down enough to keep or stop him from stealing your purse. And, please zip, buckle, and close up your purse! Use some common sense! Questions? Contact your local Social Security office and/or your local police department.