Chill Chaser Shrug Craft Project

This is my own version of a shrug. A shrug is a short sweater to chase a chill away. This would be a perfect bed jacket for a friend in the hospital. Or just to throw on when the nights are a little cool.

Approximate Time A couple evenings in front of the TV

• about 10 oz. 4 ply yarn
  • aluminum crochet hook size K
  • yarn needle

This is not a conventional pattern, since I am not a professional pattern writer, but it is a simple pattern and should be easy enough for a beginner. It is a one-piece pattern. The only sewing needed is to form the sleeves. The pattern begins at one cuff and ends at the other cuff. If you have any problems, email me for assistance.

The measurement examples are my personal measurements.

Begin by taking measurements in inches.

• A to B is edge of your palm at wrist to underarm: 17 inches
  • B to D is from shoulder to shoulder across back: 17 inches (you may need help with B to D)
  • C marks the middle of the back. You will be increasing on the first half to this point , adding a couple rows without increases, and then decreasing for the second half.

Chill Chaser Shrug Front

The instructions are also in a PDF file for which you may need Acrobat Reader to view. Download Acrobat Reader

Click Here to download the Crochet Style Shrug Instructions in PDF format.

About The Author: Harlean Greathouse is a mother of three who has been married for 45 years. Long time readers of ThriftyFun will probably recognize her as Harlean from Arkansas, the name she has posted under as a valuable member of the ThriftyFun community. She specializes in wood crafts and enjoys designing crafts using recyclable materials, knitting, crochet and has been an arts and crafts vendor for over 35 years. Harlean has a CD available with 11 unique crafts designs for only $5.00 (including shipping). For more information visit:

Oh what great idea !!

Thank you for sharing your pattern with me.

My friend's 87 yr mother has recently gone to a nursing home facility. This will be a great thing to crochet for her. You know how chilly your arms get sometimes.....

With your Chill Chaser Shrug, she won't find it necessary to wear her long house coat while she is in bed. This is perfect !!

Thanks !!

barb in tennessee

Thank you. I made such a shrug many years ago for my mother and lost the pattern. I know wanted to make one for my mother in law who has become bed ridden and this is exactly what I was looking for.

Ian R Grant (Yes, a fella!)

Thanks so much, I`m sure going to make this.

Chill Chaser Shrug Back
Chill Chaser Shrug Patterns
Crafts CrochetApril 14, 2008
An array of neckties.
Making a Tree Skirt with Neckties
finished reindeer 1
Rudolph Craft Ideas
Grape Fizz Cluster Stitch Cowl
Making a Cluster Stitch Cowl
Photo of a frozen rose bush.
Protecting Plants from Cold Weather