Paint Color AdviceDecorating

Painting Over Very Dark Brown Walls

We are moving to a place with defecation colored walls. It is a nasty dark brown. I am moving from a place painted crimson red and jet black. I want to make the new place livable, so I was thinking, what is the cheapest way to turn brown into red, or at least a rust color? Is it possible to just paint red over the brown and get a rust color or bronze color? The place is 418 sq ft. I was also thinking a dark or light blue. Anyone know how much paint I will need? Thank you for any help you can provide.

By Tara M. from Las Vegas, NV

You might begin with wide stripes of a new color. This will make the place more liveable and allow you to try different kinds of paints and colors. Run some of the stripes around the walls to make the space look bigger, but dark colors pull walls in. Painting the ceiling and one wall will make it look bigger and allow you to experiment with different colors and products. Aqua can look attractive with brown. Hope this helps.

Pale colors will make a room look larger. Walmart has a color called coral that is lovely.

Your best bet to get the rooms the colours you prefer is to wash down the walls with a one-to-one vinegar+water solution, let dry thoroughly, and then apply a couple coats of KILZ or other similar quality covers-all primer paint.

If you follow the directions you will have a bright new canvas (the wall) to decorate-KILZ and similar quality primers work wonders to prevent colour bleed-through in one or two coats so that you can apply your colour choice as soon as the primer has dried.

Using a good quality primer makes quick and ultimately inexpensive work of drastic colour changes. I've never known properly applied KILZ to fail-I've even seen it cover deep black without colour bleed-through. Because it works so well you end up spending much less to 'fix' the previous tenant's decorating tastes.

You can even get it tinted in the colour you want to end up with, too, very handy, that, for good coverage.