Healthy Banana Bars (Diabetic and Low Cholesterol)

This is a recipe that my friend recently gave to me. She made this recipe to use as a snack for her husband who is a diabetic, and also has to watch his cholesterol. It is very good and very good for you.

Dry ingredients:

• 1/2 cup chopped almonds
  • 1 cup oatmeal
  • 1 cup whole wheat flour
  • 2 teaspoons cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon ginger
  • 1/2 teaspoon cloves,
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1/4 cup Konsyl**
  • 1/2 to 1 cup raisins as you like
  • 1/2 cup Splenda (optional)
  • 1/4 cup flax Seed (optional)

**Note: Konsyl is a sugar free 100% Psyllium Fiber product available at the pharmacy. This is added because most people do not get enough fiber in their diet.

Liquid ingredients:

• 1/4 cup olive oil or canola oil
  • 1 cup non-fat buttermilk
  • 1 cup unsweetened applesauce,
  • 1 large mashed banana (1/2 to 3/4 cup)

Stir the liquids into the dry mixture thoroughly, making sure they are all moistened. Spray a 9X13 pan with a non-stick spray, and pat the dough evenly in the pan. Bake for 25-30 minutes at 350 degrees F. Cool and cut in squares.

To get the health benefits, be sure to use whole wheat flour (preferably stone ground), and the Konsyl. Do not substitute or omit these ingredients.

Sounds good.

Any idea what the nutritional content is?

Thank you for the recipe..sounds great. My husband is diabetic and loves sweets. And my Mom is diabetic as well so I'm constantly looking for something like this. This will be great for him to take to work or for long trips!

I just want to add a little more information on the Konsyl that is added for extra fiber. It is a trademark name for a fiber that is listed as Psyllium, and is rather expensive. There are other brands of this fiber that are cheaper, and the only difference being that this particular brand is sugar-free. WalMart carries the equate brand and it is labeled Equate Fiber Therapy. It does contain sugar, but only 3 grams per serving. The price difference is quite substantial. Konsyl is about $14.00 for 15.9 ounces and the Equate brand is about $6.00 for 29 ounces. I am not diabetic, so am not sure if the sugar in the Equate is too much for a diabetic. You can make your own decision which product to use...I have used both now and they both work for this recipe. If you don't have to watch your sodium too much, you could add a half teaspoon of salt, too.I will try to get the nutritional values and post them a little later. I have also read some articles lately that say extra fiber in your diet will help with weight loss.

Harlean from Arkansas

Ok folks, I am sorry it has taken me so long to get back here with the nutritional value of this recipe. I though it would be a quick and easy job since I own a copy of RecipeCalc that makes it easy to get this info just by entering the ingredients. However, I had not used the program in some time, and when I tried to access it, found it corrupted. I uninstalled it and tried to re-install it, but lo and behold it seems that the developer has abandoned the site, and someone has hijacked it and is using it to send out spyware. So I could not re-install it. So the next best thing was to read the label on the back of each ingredient and do the math. I know this will not be exact, but will give you some idea. The greatest amount of sugars comes from the raisins, and the almonds so if you need to cut the sugar decrease or eliminate those ingredients. However, they also have "Good" properties.

So this is the label info that I came up with based on a 9 x 13 pan divided into 12 bars:

Serving: 1 bar

calories: 174

Total Fat: 7.5 g Sat fat: .5g

polyunsaturates 2 g

Monounsaturates 5g

Fiber 8g

Carbohydrates 7g ( Sugars are listed separately )

Sugars 11 grams

Hope this helps.

Harlean from Arkansas

Low Cholesterol Tofu Burgers
Low Cholesterol Recipes
Food and Recipes Recipes Dieting DiabeticFebruary 8, 2007
Protein Powder
Low Carb Low Protein Powder for Breakfast Shakes
High Cholesterol With Tangerine
Lowering Your Cholesterol
Fresh Salad
Diabetic Recipes
Sliced banana bread on a cutting board.
Freezing Banana Bread