Saving My Plants from Japanese Beetles

Does anyone know anything that will get rid of Japanese beetles? They are destroying my cherry tree, by eating all of the leaves.

By SuzyQ from VA

A few years ago, I had a ton of Japanese Beetles and they just kept eating my plants. I bought Spectracide's Bag-A-Bug trap and hung it on a tree on the edge of my property. WooHoo! No Japanese Beetles for over two years now. You can find the Bag-A-Bug at any hardware store.

Try spraying with clay. This won't poison anything, and insects object to getting a mouth full of dirt. Worked great on our trees (apple and cherry) but we haven't had many Japanese beetles this year. Good luck! and whatever you do, Don't let anybody talk you into lure traps. Then you will get everybody's beetles.

June 24, 2010 Flag

How can I rid my rose plants of Japanese beetles?

By Ken from Midwest

Saving My Plants from Japanese Beetles

A one to two percent concentration of soap in water is an appropriate dilution for insecticide soap. This mixture will kill insects without risking burning the plant. This equates to approximately five tablespoons of soap per one gallon of water. Most recipes recommend using two teaspoons of dish detergent per quart of water, while those who use castile soap should add one or two tablespoons per quart of water. Blend the ingredients in a large pot or bucket, and then transfer them to a spray bottle as needed. The mixture will keep indefinitely.

You may also wish to add some herbs known to repel, if not kill, many common garden pests. Try a handful of any of the following: horseradish, cayenne pepper, garlic, or onions. Make a diffusion by pouring hot water over the plant of your choice, sealing it in a container overnight, and straining it. Add the spice-infused water to a basic soap insecticide for its extra repellent properties. Again, make sure that you test a small area of the plant before you douse it with the spray, as some plants are very sensitive to these spices.

By kffrmw88

Saving My Plants from Japanese Beetles

The beetles come from grubs that are under the ground in your yard. We were plagued with them for a while until I contacted our county agent for his advice on getting rid of them.

Ridding your yard of them will be a years project. You need to purchase a product called "Milky Spore" at a garden store. Then follow the directions for application. It is fairly easy to do. This will take care of the grubs, so they don't hatch out into the beetles.

Have you noticed many skunks in the area? Or placed in your yard that look like they have been dug up? Skunks love to dig up those grubs and eat them. So they tend to congregate where there are plenty of grubs to snack on. Our neighborhood was becoming a hangout for skunks. This meant dogs getting sprayed when they went out at night, and just a general nuisance. The county agent explained about the skunks, too.

With several of us using the Milky Spore, we aren't bothered by the beetles, or by the skunks! Lots of luck to you. (04/23/2010)

By Barb in TN

Saving My Plants from Japanese Beetles

Get a spray bottle of Sevin. Do not use traps! Beetles have a penchant for Rose of Sharon. Sevin will not hurt flowers or bushes. I would not use it on veggies. (04/25/2010)

By gatsby4470

April 18, 2010 Flag

By Ellen Brown

How do I stop Japanese beetles from raiding my young plants? The constant rain washes everything I use away.

Tooti from Plainville, CT

I'm sorry to hear the weather hasn't been cooperating with your pest management strategies. Unfortunately, anything you spray on to control Japanese Beetles and other insects will have to be reapplied after each rain. Fortunately, there are several non-chemical control methods worth trying that are not dependent on the weather.

1. Removing beetles by hand. Either hand pick beetles from plants or shake them onto tarps placed beneath your plants early in the morning.

2. Cover growing plants with floating row covers (hand pollinate when necessary).

3. Interplant garlic, larkspur, tansy, rue, and geranium.

4. Mow the lawn wearing spiked sandals to kill grubs as they feed near the surface in late spring.

5. Apply parasitic nematodes as a top dressing to plants and lawn in the spring.

6. Apply milky spore to grassy areas to help control grubs.

7. Try to attract more birds to your garden that will feed on grubs.

For the most effective control, employ a combination of these strategies along with a regular schedule of spraying.

About The Author: Ellen Brown is our Green Living and Gardening Expert. Click here to ask Ellen a question! Ellen Brown is an environmental writer and photographer and the owner of Sustainable Media, an environmental media company that specializes in helping businesses and organizations promote eco-friendly products and services. Contact her on the web at

Saving My Plants from Japanese Beetles

I have heard from more than one person, don't use those bags. Unless you give it to your neighbor as a gift. I have the same problem. I to went to the store and bought special spray and although it seems to be working somewhat it is not taking them all away. So I got a bucket with some soap and water in it and started walking around my yard, finding them and dropping them into the water. That really seems to be doing the trick. Although, I must warn you it is addicting. I am outside 2 or 3 times a day with my bucket picking beetles.
Good luck. (07/26/2006)

Saving My Plants from Japanese Beetles

We get Japanese beetles every year and we've found that Sevin works better than any other product or method. Usually it takes only one application and can be found at Wal-mart, Home Depot, and Lowe's. It's safe for vegetable gardens as well. Good luck. (07/26/2006)

By Marnita

Saving My Plants from Japanese Beetles

With the bags, you are drawing the beetles away from your neighbors into your yard. You should put them away from your garden to attract them there. Kind of like a mosquito zapper. I also use the Sevin and it does work, but I think some of the beetles grow on it, instead of dying. I'm keeping at it though. (07/26/2006)

Saving My Plants from Japanese Beetles

I am the one who said not to use those bags.
They draw beetles to the bag.
So if your neighbor has beetles they will come over to your house because the scent in the bag is drawing them in.
Now you not only do you have beetles coming from your yard, but the neighborhoods, also. (07/26/2006)

Saving My Plants from Japanese Beetles

Jerry Baker swears by Milky Spore and has testimonies from those who used it, even whole neighborhoods who claim the beetles have stayed gone several years. (07/29/2006)

By Lynda

Home and Garden Gardening Pest ControlJune 24, 2010
Japanese beetle eating a leaf.
Getting Rid of Japanese Beetles
Asian Beetles
Getting Rid of Asian Beetles
A plate of sushi at a Japanese themed birthday party.
Japanese Themed Birthday Party Ideas