Guinea Pig is Rejecting One of Babies

My guinea as had babies and is rejecting one of them. What shall I do?

By Lisa from Hudds, West Yorkshire

I had GP's as pets years ago. I have no experience with a mother rejecting a baby, but if I recall correctly GP's can start eating regular food right away, so I'd just remove it from the "cage" and put it in a separate "cage". You might put some of the other babies in with it now and then so it won't be socially deprived, pet it, etc.

That's right, a guinea pig baby can eat real food right away, although they do nurse for a while as well. You can also offer it a tiny bit of bread soaked in milk. You should also know that a female guinea pig can get pregnant again within a day of giving birth. So if the male is around her, you'll be doing this again! The second time I went through this I found a vet who would neuter the male. On the upside, baby guinea pigs are so adorable being born with all their fur and their eyes open.

Pets Guinea Pigs AdviceDecember 12, 2010
bank in shape of girl with pig tails
Creative Piggy Bank Ideas
Girl wearing a pig costume with a pink straw hat.
Making a Pig Costume
Cute Guinea Pig
Giving Vitamin Supplements to Guinea Pigs
NICU Baby
Donating Items to NICU Babies
🎄