Paint Color AdviceDecorating

Paint Color Advise for a Kitchen With Light Oak Cabinets and Black Countertops

We have just purchased new kitchen cabinets in a light oak colour. The oven, hob, splash backs, and granite work tops are in black. I am in a dilemma as to which paint colours to choose for the walls. I have been thinking of a deep red on one wall and a mocha/taupe colour on the other 3.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

By Pat from Romford, UK

A lovely gray can do just the thing. There is an environmentally sound line (the name of the brand fails me now)my daughter used in her apartment. "Storm" sets off her kitchen to perfection. I was skeptical but it looks fab!

Good luck!

Hi Pat,

How about a lovely shade of light green? A sage or mint shade would work well. It will lighten up the atmosphere in the kitchen and provide a cheerful feel. This type of color would work well with the mocha/taupe shade you are adding and would coordinate great with your new oak colored cabinets. You should use the home inspiration tool through the home depot website to try out different colors. Good Luck, Chloe :)

I like your idea of the red and taupe. I would use a true red (think red roses and Valentine's Day red candy boxes) and keep the taupe to the medium/light shade so the room doesn't turn out too dark. Have fun!

I think a light celery green would be pretty. Please go to the color store and ask them to show it to you. It isn't minty green or pea green or forest green, just a subtle very pretty green that I think would look especially well with the dark counter tops and the light cabinets. If you are looking for 2 colors, try taking a gallon of white and dropping 2 or 3 teaspoons full of brick red paint (ask for a sample size, they are only about a buck) into the white. The color is sort of like a brick red, but way more subtle than either brick or country red. Looks awesome with the celery and the dark counters. A friend of mine just did hers that way and boy am I ever envious. I might have to repaint this year!

I did my basement with red and taupe and I get a lot of compliments. I painted the cabinets black because the counter tops are a light beige. It looks great. Good luck!