QuiltingCrafts

Question About Jeans Quilts

Category Quilting

I would like every type of blue jean quilt that people are willing to share so I can make my first quilts. They are going to be for my three grandsons. What is a good backing? Thanks!

By Bev Sobkowich

I don't put a backing on my blue jean quilt. But I have seen anything from flannelette to a good quality cotton... in a "country" theme (mixture of colors) or a solid dark blue color. One lady's quilt was gorgeous. She used strips of "country" patterned material (about 1" wide) between each piece of blue jean fabric (about 5x5" piece) sort of framing each piece and then used a solid blue cotton as the back... and she tied between section to hold the front to the back.

I personally, like no backing. I surge my pieces together and find that over the years...it folds easily, easy to wash (just throw it in), no sand sticks to it (it will if you use a flannelette backing) and it is easy to repair after 10 years because there is no backing on it. But my quilts are more "informal". People I give mine to feel that they can "get mine dirty" where as the above mentioned quilt was rarely used. So it depends on how you want your quilts to be used and how often.

I have seen a very good looking jean quilt backed with the big red and blue mens hankies, the country kind. The blocks on the front were framed with strips of the same . The back was made with the 2 colors in a checkerboard patteren. I do not know if there was anything in between the two. Just a thought.

-eaisiest way to back a quilt is with a bedsheet, thriftstores often have lonely or wildly colored sheets.

I don't like most cotton fabrics because denim is so heavy, it will easily wear the backing out. I made denim quilts for my son's bunk beds when he was young out of our old jeans. I backed them with ticking and tied the quilt. I used the heavy ticking that used to be used on mattresses; backed one with a blue stripe and the other with a red stripe. I put fiberfill in one, which made it heavy and extremely warm for the wintertime; the other just had a top and backing for spring and fall. My son is in graduate school, and still uses those quilts -- I couldn't believe he requested to take them after he finished his BA and moved across the country. They've worn like iron.

I make bluejean quilts and flannel. What you do is cut the jeans and the flannel into 6 1/2" squares. To start the row, place a bluejean square with the right side down, place a flannel square on top of it, right side up, place a flannel square on top of it, right side down and then a bluejean square on top of it, right side up. You will have four pieces. Sew a 1/4" seam along the right side of the square. Unfold it and on top of the second square, place a flannel square right side down on top of it, and a bluejean square right side up on top of it. Again sew a 1/4" seam along the right side of the square. Continue in this manner until you have the "width" you want. Follow this procedure of making the rows until you have the "length" you want. (I usually make mine 10 squares wide (1 row) by 12 rows long). To sew row 1 to row 2, simply pin the rows together with the flannel facing each other, and sew a 1/4" seam along the bottom of the squares. This is called a ragged edge quilt. They are very durable and can stand up to ANYTHING! I have made 47 of these and whoever I have given them to has loved it. They are also very warm.

I forgot to mention that once you have the bluejean and flannel squares "quilt" the size you want it, you are ready to finish it. Sew a 1/4" seam all around the edge of the "quilt". I use the thread color that is the same color as the predominate color in the flannel material in a decorative stitch. For example, if the predominate color in the flannel is red, I use red thread. ~ groovy granny