Getting Rid of Blackbirds Nesting on My Roof

I have this problem lately. I believe that a mass of blackbirds are making a nest on the roof of my home. They are making a mess pooping on my stairs. How can I get rid of them? Thank you. Any suggestions will be helpful.

By daneed from Guayanilla, Puerto Rico

If you go to this website

You will see the 'Wildlife and Countryside Act of 1981'. If you click the link that says "Protection of birds" you will see that it is illegal to do anything to or with a bird's nest until all of the eggs and birds are gone.

I doubt if the birds are nesting 'on' your roof, they might be nesting in a gutter or whatever. Once the birds are gone and you are able to remove the nest, if there is some way to block them from nesting there again in the future, you could do that.

Your best shot at getting rid of the blackbirds is to buy a fake owl and place it around the area your speaking of , but you do need to keep moving it around from time to time or the other animals will figure it out that it is fake. Good luck!

I'm sure the English 'Wildlife and Countryside Act of 1981'' does not apply to you in your country, it definitely does not apply here in Australia and any non native pest bird or animal in this country is disposed of. We use glace cherries on a RAT trap, it gets them every time, Good luck.

Here we have a fake bird of prey 'flying' from one of the commercial buildings in order to stop birds nesting on the flat roof. This works without harming the birds.

Home and Garden Pest Control BirdsFebruary 18, 2011
Removing Moss from Asphalt Roof Tiles
Removing Moss from Asphalt Roof Tiles
Removing Moss from a Roof, Cleaning Moss off Roof
Removing Moss from a Roof
A dirty roof that has been partially cleaned.
Saving Money on Roof Cleaning
Man nailing up new shingles on a roof.
Saving Money on a New Roof