Clothing StainsCleaning

Duct Tape on a Polyester Graduation Robe

I put duct tape on a 100% polyester graduation robe and now there is the residue left on it. It's all over the bottom and the sleeves. The tag says "Do Not Wash and Do Not Dry Clean" and I have no idea how to get it off. (the robe isn't mine!) If you could help, I would appreciate it.

szwrld

you could try hand washing just the part that is dirty with alittle dish soap. Or I would try using a pink or gum eraser, and rub it away. good luck

I'd probably moisten/wet an old white piece of fabric with lighter fluid (the kind you refill cigarette lighters with) and try rubbing the stickly residue off. Try this outdoors, with lots of fresh air, NOT indoors! IF it does come off then either air dry the gown very well outdoors or try hand washing very gently in some warm soapy water. If it's polyester the fabric should be able to take getting wet. My guess is that the seams/construction of the gown may pull apart if placed in a washing machine. My kids had graduation gowns made of acetate, like the fabric used in cheap Halloween costumes, so we just folded those up and put in their keepsake box as they were.....no cleaning!

The glue from the tape should respond to either alcohol, which usually dissolves it - or Goo Be Gone - (Be careful to test on a small insignificant spot - to test for color fastness.) If it is on the inside - it won't be noticeable - so let it be. The robe sounds terrible flimsey & just meant for one-time use - so treat it with care -

Well, I just decided to take the plunge and try washing our son's black graduation gown. He graduated several years ago and has since loaned his gown out for 3-5 other graduates to use. Now it's our daughter's turn and after looking at the gown, I decided it needed washing. It says '100% Polyester, Do Not Wash, Do Not Dry Clean'. I thought the comment made here that maybe the seams weren't strong enough to go through a washer could be the reason so I hand washed it in our utility sink with a tiny bit of Tide and lukewarm water. I expected the color to run and end up with black water. It didn't, it washed nicely and I'm hanging it on a plastic hanger with the zipper zip upped to drip dry in the shower. So go for it, hand wash those cheap graduation gowns! CJ