Advice For Installing a Ceiling

What is the best method to install a ceiling? How should one decide on what kind of ceiling to install? When the ceiling fell down it exposed the insulation. Is this bad for the boys to be sleeping under? I hope not, this happened a few years ago and every time I bring it up my husband says not now. I think that maybe if I know what I am talking about he might be interested in listening to me this time.

Patti from Mountlake Terrace, WA

A lot depends on what type of insulation you had in the rafters. It could be harmful, that's why they tell you to wear a mask and cover-up when installing insulation.

The typical way to install a ceiling is to buy those 4x8 sheets of sheetrock, hold them up and screw them into the rafters with drywall screws. Once they're all in place, you'd tape with drywall tape and mud them. The drywall spackle (mud) must be put on in layers (usually three). After it's dry, you'd sand it, which is a really messy job (It'll get throughout the house no matter how careful you try to be). Then it'll be ready to prime and paint. It's a big job and is time consuming which is why your husband probably keeps putting it off. Oh yeah--you'll need to move everything out of the room while you are working on it, which is why once you start, you"ll want to finish as soon as possible.

Yeah, sounds like my husband...what HE wants on HIS schedule.

Remember the old song, Rueben, true!

I am wondering if you might be able to get your boys to help you put up a ceiling made from paneling. Go to Lowes and look at the product I'm talking about. Perhaps you can evn hire someone from Lowes to come and put it up for you. I'm sorry I cant think of the name of what I am thinking about right now. It is used a lot in cottage style decorating. I think its much easier to install than dry wall which must be sealed on the edges to look right.

I dont think you should wait for your husband to help you. It doesnt sound like its going to happen. I think you can do this yourself.

Best of luck

Thanks I really appreciate any and all help and suggestions.

Home and Garden Home Improvement WallsSeptember 25, 2007
Photo of a ceiling fan.
Cleaning a Ceiling Fan
Refurbished a Ceiling Fan
Refurbishing a Ceiling Fan
Installing Tile
Installing Tile
Ceiling Fan
Repairing a Wobbly Ceiling Fan