Attractive Container For Your Compost Scraps

Composting is always great. It recycles plant wastes and makes great soil. We have a composting unit in the back yard under a tree. When I worked in the kitchen, it was hard to save things for composting and I was always debating if it was worth the time to take the little I had out or if I should just throw it out. This was especially true at night or if I was not feeling well.

Now I have a stainless steel container with a lid right by my sink (it is about 1 gallon size). Since it is not see-through and closes securely it is neither an eye-sour or a smell problem. I put the banana peel in after breakfast. The ends of carrots, onion and potato peelings, salad wastes, etc. from lunch and supper. I also put in tea bags (minus the staple and string. Coffee grinds are great too. When this can is full, I empty it into the composter. We also layer the leaves and grass clippings into this composter. Having the steel canister in the kitchen saves me time and I end up with great soil for my garden.

By Harriet from Lakewood, CA

My Mom always kept a 5 quart ice cream bucket under the sink for compost...taught us kids what to throw in there...was easy for anyone going out to take it and empty it.

My grandfather used a galvanized bucket that he kept on the back porch. My mother always just used an old plastic container. Lately, I've been using a plactic Folgers coffee container.

I use a recycled plastic coffee container. The largest size plastic can. I keep it under the cabinet.

Love your idea. What kind of steel container do you have & where did you get it? Thanks

I use a 5 gallon cat litter bucket with lid. I fill it up and take it out once a week. I put paper towels (no chemicals), food scraps, coffee grounds, tea bags and assorted paper in it. I rinse it out with the jet spray nozzle on my hose to clean out. I pull my newspapers into shreds and put those in the pile, too. Your carbon to nitrogen ration (C:N or brown:green should be around 30:1) for really good compost cooking. The more newspaper or sawdust, etc the better. Happy compost cooking!!

Great ideas! I've started saving my coffee grounds for my plants, but sometimes they start to grow mold before I get to empty the plastic container. Within about three days the mold begins to grow. (I live in Louisiana with plenty of humidity). Any ideas on how I could avoid that problem without having to empty every day?

Also you can get one of those small plastic drawers that you buy at walmart and put it in your refrigerator. That way you don't have to empty as often cause there is no odor or deterioration.

Anne in North Carolina

We put a small paper bag in the freezer and use it for composting during the winter or in bad weather (or when we just don't want to go out). You can throw the whole thing into the composter and the paper is good as the "brown" element. You can also use newspaper to wrap anything you want to compost but your husband may grab it from the wrong end and you'll have a mess.

Compost Bucket Ideas
Compost Bucket Ideas
Home and Garden Gardening CompostingMarch 4, 2008
Food Scraps
Uses for Food Scraps
Potholders From Fabric Scraps
Making Potholders From Fabric Scraps
Worm Composting (Vermicomposting)
Worm Composting (Vermicomposting)
Craft Using Fleece
Crafts Using Fleece Scraps
🎉
🎄