Disposable Bowl Covers

I have found the cheapest source for those new disposable bowl covers. My friend was unpacking her cosmetology bag and there was a box of cheap (100 count for $1.99) disposable shower caps. These were clear, had a great elastic band, and stretched to a huge size. I have since bought my own box from the beauty supply store, we have a Sally's Beauty Store here in town. I have used this instead of plastic wrap. I can rinse them at home for reuse. At 2 cents each they make the perfect cover for school cupcakes, picnics, or delivering meals and so many other food items.

By Bobbie G from Rockwall, TX

since these were not made for food, are they safe to use for food items?

Linda

To answer your question, Linda. NO they are not safe for food. The manufacturing process standard for food and other purposes is different. Although you may never have a problem, better safe than sorry. I can buy a variety pack of 20 from the Dollar store...result .05/each and I know they are safe for food as they were manufactured for food.

A brilliant idea; but make sure the food is pre-wrapped as they are probably not "Food Grade".

BTW are they available here in the UK?

I use them too, and the truth is that 99% of the time, they never touch the food. A cake baked in a 9x13" pan doesn't rise over the top and the cover stretches over the pan. The same goes for storing leftovers in bowls--the covers never droop down into the food. I never put them over hot stuff nor microwave with them just to be safe. As long as you use common sense and are careful, they are safe. If you get careless, there may be a problem. These are safer than most of the commercial things the food industry uses that we are generally not aware of.

Just wash them, if your afraid of chemicals or something. Throw them in your washing machine with some bleach and towels. I was just going to buy a cheap shower curtain at the Dollar Tree and cut out some circles, sew on some elastic and make my own - however, I think I like the idea of the caps more!

Uses for Shower Caps
Uses for Shower Caps
Food and Recipes StorageMay 9, 2006
Homemade Disposable Toilet Cleaning Pads
metal burner covers
Uses for Burner Covers
disposable razor
Uses for Disposable Razors
Cleaning a white toilet.
Homemade Toilet Bowl Cleaner Recipes
🎉
🎄