Sign and Date Your Crafts

Always sign and date your labors of love. I have homemade ornaments from many years ago. Some aren't signed and it's sad not to remember who took the time to create their "labor of love".

By Keeper60 from NC

I do this with some of the things I make (cards), but not jewelry. I'm getting more into working with sheet metal, so in theory there might be more area for me to mark -- but I'm undecided. In general, I think it's a good idea and a nice reminder of the work that someone put into the piece.

Yes, you should always initial and date your pieces of art even if it is just for yourself. Many years ago my daughter became interested in pottery in a college course she had taken. They were dated each time. As years past by she could look back and see how and where her taste had changed in the kind of pottery she was making. Friends would ask her where she bought her art pieces. They didn't believe at first that she had made them. She said turn them over to see her initials on the bottom and date. So if it is for yourself or other people be proud and sign and date each pieces.

The non-profit I work for receives donations from the public for the thrift store. One day I discovered a small painted plaque someone had donated and thought the signature and the work looked like my late mother's. I am looking for the photo to compare it to, as she took pictures of this grouping of strawberry/mice paintings she did when she was fresh out of high school. I am positive it is hers! She signed it, but I wish she would have dated them. Who would have thought that this art work of hers, that she sold on the side to support the coming of her first born (ME!) would come back to me!

I don't make crafts for anyone but my grand people. I have "Made for Megan" by GranMarty, and "Made for Sam" by GranMarty tags.

I had a similar experience to dede smith's. I was at an auction once and a box of "junk" came up. As they were holding things up from the box I noticed some ceramic fish that looked awfully familiar. I started bidding on the box but lost out to a lady sitting behind me. When she got the box and brought it back to her seat I turned and asked her if I could see the fish. She let me, and sure enough, they had my mother's name and date on them from when she had made them 30 years before. At the time I had recently lost my mother just 6 months before. When I saw her name on the back of the fish it brought tears to my eyes. The lady was kind enough to let me go through the box and keep anything that had been hers. Turned out to just have the set of 3 fish, but it was so kind of the lady to let me have them.

So yes, putting your name and date on the crafts you make can have a huge impact later on over the years.

If you keep cards this is a good idea also.

My quilts usually consist of 9" blocks because I'm a lazy, machine quilter. I always send one block to my daughter because she has an embroidery machine that will do any design or font. The last block she did for me said

"Made with love by Grandma (my name) for (nephew's name)

Top 100% acrylic, Back 100% polyester

machine wash warm, machine dry warm or line dry"

Now he will always know who made it and how to take care of it.

Crafting Tools
Crafting Tips and Tricks
Crafts AdviceNovember 3, 2009
Anniversary Date
Planning a Wedding Anniversary Date
Quilting Tips and Tricks, Nine patch quilt block and tools.
Quilting Tips and Tricks
Machine Embroidery
Machine Embroidery Tips and Tricks
A finger with a pink bow tied on it.
Save-The-Date Ideas
🎉
🎄