Housewarming Invitation Etiquette

I am hosting a housewarming for my younger brother. All he has is his bed and a fridge; that's it! How do I word the invitation saying that gifts are welcome?

By DZ

I would put on the invitation: We are having a housewarming party - to help ______________ decorate and make his house a home.

Leave a spot for RSVP/Questions...

Also, have him sign up for a gift registry somewhere and attach that info to the invitation.

Hosting a party is one thing, asking for gifts is not the thing to do. I would say something to the effect of "Come on over to see Johnny's very first apartment, and be amazed at his flair for decorating with cardboard boxes!"

In the mean time, go down to the local Goodwill and be amzed at how far $20 can go!

I agree with aloham58. Any etiquette guides I've ever read say that it is never proper to ask for a gift or include registry information with an invitation. I think aloham58's wording works well. It is likely some people will call you (or another close friend/relative) to find out what he needs or where he likes to shop, so you can spread the word that way.

Just having people come to celebrate with your brother is enough to ask of people. I do not think it appropriate to ask for gifts. It's not a baby or bridal shower where gifts are expected. If people want to bring a little something that's their choice but making it expected that they bring him something is probably going a little far. I've never attended an actual housewarming party before but have visited people in new homes and always brought a little housewarming gift which was appreciated. It was my choice/idea to do so and I think that's how you should handle it.

Holidays and Parties Parties InvitationsJuly 28, 2011
Housewarming Fruit Basket
Housewarming Gift Ideas
Bridal Shower Invitation
Wording for a Bridal Shower Invitation
Couple Going to Prom
Saying Yes to a Prom Invitation
Whiskbroom Angel
Making a Whiskbroom Angel
🎉
🎄