Housewarming Gift Ideas

Before tossing out your cardboard box, see if it's worth keeping! I was able to transform this waffle box into a gift bag. It was a perfect fit for the mug I purchased for my friend to give to her as a small gift for her new place!

Total Time: 30 minutes

Yield: 1 gift bag

• cardboard box
  • scissors
  • paper cutter (optional)
  • X-Acto knife
  • glue stick
  • ribbon
  • pen
  • tape
  • magazine catalogs

1. I broke down the cardboard box and flattened it.
  2. Measure out and determine where to cut your slits for the handles (on both sides, total of 4). Then, also fold the flaps inside and make sure you cut slits through them too!
  3. Using any magazine, clip pages related to the theme of your bag. (I cut out floral, home, organization, etc.)
  4. Glue magazine clippings on the box flaps (as a nice accent) this is optional, but I wanted the bag to be more personalized so thought this would be a nice touch! Afterwards, cut off any excess magazine.
  5. Advertisement

6. Using scrapbook paper, measure out a piece to fit the bag (all around). I also measured out the slits and cut it then glued it down.
  7. Measure ribbon equally and cut two strands. (Length depends on how long you want your handles to be.)
  8. Slide ribbon through the slit. I used the X-Acto knife to help insert the ribbon through and then secured with a knot. Repeat all around.
  9. Ready to place your gift in, add tissue paper if you have some and the gift is ready to be given! :) You have yourself a sturdy, customized homemade gift bag!
  10. Advertisement

More Solutions

I needed a housewarming present for my cousin's daughters and I didn't have any money. But I do have a lot of plants, so I've started taking cuttings and rooting them in water for about two months now.

7 Questions

I need ideas for a house warming gift. I don't want to give the usual such as kitchen towel, etc. I want something really different and useful. This is for a work acquaintance, not a close friend. My budget is no more than $25.00, preferably less. Thank you.

By Kathy from Sylvania, OH

Answers

What I have done for some of my friends with new places, is get them games like Yatzee, Catch Phrase, Scattegories, etc. That way if they have guests over at their new home, there's something fun to do...

What about something that really does warm a house? An inexpensive large plastic bowl filled with different flavors of microwave popcorn, a nicely scented larger candle and some kitchen matches, and a TV guide type book, or local newspaper, college paper, etc. All of these would be about that price range.

You can't go wrong with photo frames. Everyone loves to display their family and friends. For your budget, you could get a nice basket and some different mini frames and candles from the D. Tree and have a nice gift.

Also, if the co worker is a cook, the DT also has a nice array of cookbooks.

If they like wine, you can get some nice glasses and packaged cheeses. I find the soaps in those prepackaged gifts you get to be cheap and harsh, but a nice gift card from a bed and bath would be nice too. Good Luck

Go to the website Etsy.com and you'll find categories for everything, and it's all gorgeous handmade things by artists. You won't believe how much beautiful stuff there is. You can arrange the items by price, cheapest to highest and that way you can find something in your price range. Anything from handmade note cards to salt and pepper shakers, cutting boards, wall hangings, soap, place mats, garden items, etc.

Have fun and enjoy!

I have given a tool box filled with your every day tools, hammer, asst. of screwdrivers stud finder, screws, nails, pliers, and majic eraser. They loved it!

Does this person have pets? If so perhaps you could find out exactly what brand and flavor of food their fur (or scale) babies eat, get a week to a month supply (of course that will depend on how many pets, what type of pet and their size as to how much they eat LOL) and include their name(s) on the card along with your co-workers name. I know I would get a kick out of someone buying a month supply of Rachel Kitty's food (about $15.00) and having included her as part of the family in a new home :-)

It shouldn't be hard to find out what brand and flavors of food because people love to talk about their pets and you can easily find out by opening a conversation like what brand and flavor of pet food do you use because "I have a friend who (come up with a reason)" or "I am thinking about changing my pets food because" etc. ;-)

How about a First Aid or Emergency Kit?

A different tactic to take and its fun!

The Italian and a lot of the old countries had customs like these. We always gave bread, salt, and a broom. Mom would make a little gift basket and put in a loaf of Italian bread (readily available in NY), a box of salt, and a little hand held broom and dust pan. With a little card and she would write out the meanings of each item. Most people loved it and it was something unexpected from the normal house warming gift. I do it up with a pretty printed statement on fancy paper or on a scroll in the basket.

Here is what I found in a search.
This custom and tradition is not just something that Italians did. In fact there are various cultures that also give gifts to a person who purchased a new home. I can remember that when someone bought a new home you would give that person a broom, salt and bread as a gift, but as you can see below these are not the only items that one can give.

Significance
Bread You will never go hungry
Broom Sweep away the evil; Your house will always be clean
Candle You will always have light
Coin Bring good fortune for the year
Honey Represents the sweetness of life
Salt Represents life's tears; You can also place a pinch of salt at the threshold of each door and window for good luck; Mend all wounds
Wine Never go thirsty; Your home brings you happiness and joy
Wood Your life/home will always have stability, harmony and peace

Do you give a housewarming gift when a person is renting or when they are purchasing a home?

Carol from Abingdon, MD

Answers

I don't think it matters whether someone is renting or not....it's still their home! If you know someone that just moved into a new purchased home or rented home and they invited you over, then a small house warming present would be nice....I don't think necessary but none the less would be a nice gesture. I think a dish towel set is always nice.

I think it's always a nice gesture, whether they are renting or not. I'd stay pretty "generic" with a gift, since you might not know what patterns, etc. they're using in their decor, and towels, etc. that you buy might clash (for example, you buy rooster dish towels and their theme is fish). But in all, I think any little gift is nice--it's the kind gesture that matters! When my husband and I moved into one of our former apartments, our landlords had left us a little gift basket with sparkling grape juice, two inexpensive wine glasses, etc. It was such a nice surprise!

By Ljm529 (Guest Post)

I think candles are always a nice housewarming gift, and whether renting or owning a place it is still nice to give a little housewarming gift.

By Tedebear (Guest Post)

Hi Carol, I agree a gift is always thoughtful and welcome. We generally make up an "instant" fire. Fill a box with everything for a fire in the fireplace. It is always greeted favorably.

By teatimelady1106 (Guest Post)

I think that a gift should be given only when you want to give one....and anything I am sure would be appreciated. A nice candle..baked brownies...and door wreath...a small planter .....the list goes on and on..give from your heart...and they'll appreciate it no matter if their buying or renting....it's the thoughtfulness that counts....good luck.deb

By carla bledsoe (Guest Post)

traditionally it was kept as a celebration of owning a first home.
the first one was probably when the parents threw a party when the newlyweds were finally able to move out on their own!!!
if these are people that move a lot i might not get started on a gift for the new place theme. but if it is someone that plans on staying put i might reconsider.
it's like gift giving for the holidays. where do you stop and at what cost. its an individual thing.

By Kelly (Guest Post)

Either is appropriate! I love giving a folding step stool. It's the gift I received years ago that I use daily.

When I first moved out on my own at age 21 (back in 1999), having a new place all to myself was a shock. The first time I went to the grocery store I had to purchase many items that I never would have imagined that every household would need. I'm sure that the people you are considering giving a housewarming gift would appreciate either a gift certificate to a grocery store or an offer to help them move-in and arrange things (if they haven't already). One of the best gifts I received was from an older gentleman neighbor of my parents who had a beautifully landscaped yard. He gave me a really nice houseplant that he himself had transplanted and it believe it or not, it continues to thrive in my living room to this day. Whenever I look at it, I am reminded of my home growing up and the kind neighbors I left behind. I hope that one or more of these ideas will help you out. MATT from NH

By LRP (Guest Post)

my opinion on the matter is if it's the person's 1st apt, fine. but after that wait for the house.

Answer this Question

I would like to give a little gift to neighbors who just erected a new garage...ideas?

By Jan L.

I wish to give a housewarming gift prior to completion of the new home. Is that considered acceptable?

By Dennis Wilks from Huntsville, ON

Answers

Most people give a housewarming gift when people actually move in to the home, but these days (if you live in the USA) I think people are pretty informal. I think a simple gift would be nice. You can also get something else when they actually move in if you wish. People always appreciate the thought behind a gift, just don't make it to expensive or to fancy! (& hopefully they'll have a place to store it!)

When faced with having to buy a house warming gift for a friend I never know what to get someone until I came up with this tip. I love flowers and gardening. On the spur of the moment I needed something nice so I looked around my yard for something I could give.

Holidays and Parties Gifts HousewarmingMarch 9, 2013
📓
🎂
😷
🌻
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Housewarming-Gift-Ideas-1.html